Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Always inspect your ammo...

Shadyscott999

This weekends IPSC match...

I Wednesday night I broke the decapping pin on my 40 dies in my Dillion 1050. This in turn with my total lack of finesse created a whole host of problems with my press. ( I have been called a gorilla)

So, during the Friday night scramble to make ammo, I got in a hurry and didn't inspect each loaded round as they were boxed up. Needless to say Ii missed a severely dented case. Second shot on the first stage, my STI locks up tight.

Took me over 20 seconds to clear the malfunction and get the gun running again.

I won't skip the inspection again.

had a death jam on the very last stage Area 2 last year, either due to a screwed up .38SC round, an extraction issue or both. cost me a pile of points. I had decided to forgo ammo inspection since I never had an ammo related malfunction to that point with that gun after thousands of rounds. Murphy came up and bit me hard on my ass.

had a death jam on the very last stage Area 2 last year, either due to a screwed up .38SC round, an extraction issue or both. cost me a pile of points. I had decided to forgo ammo inspection since I never had an ammo related malfunction to that point with that gun after thousands of rounds. Murphy came up and bit me hard on my ass.

Really sucks when you just---can't---get----the--- dang---thing- cleared, doesn't it. cheers.gif

Really sucks when you just---can't---get----the--- dang---thing- cleared, doesn't it. cheers.gif

yeah, it sucked big time and there were some F-bombs being dropped :ph34r:

yeah, it sucked big time and there were some F-bombs being dropped :ph34r:

Same here. I didn't even realize I said them. My buddies were laughing their butts off at me.

I haven't been reloading all that long, but I try to handle each round as much as possible. From taking them out of the akron bin to putting them in the 100 round cases to loading them in the magazines.

The more competitive I get, the more I feel the need to inspect each case.

I case gage every round i reload and do visual inspection as well.I would rather not have a malfunction at a match do to ammo.It's always better to be safe than sorry.

I caught some cracked case rounds and some bad crimp.Good luck.

Hi,

Alot of my friends mark thier case to pick them up after shooting. They case gauge first and then mark'em inspecting at the same time. Sometimes they can gauge but still be flawed.

Good Luck

When I check my ammo, I will spin the case with the rim in my fingers to feel for cracks as I look and then drop them in the gauge. Usually I can feel the slightest crack or abnormality before I can see it. It goes pretty fast that way too.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...