Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Contour Camera?

I've been looking at the Contour HD cameras, found that I can get the now discontinued standard HD model for about $150 cheaper than the newer GPS model. Does anyone have experience with both that could tell me if the GPS model is worth the extra money?

Thanks

I've had a Contour HD for a couple years now and it's great. It looks like they've improved the record switch which I think was the only weakness on the old units. But the GPS? Do I really need to map my location, elevation and speed? mellow.gif

If you plan on using the camera to film backcountry skiing, motorcycle trips off road etc then the GPS can be functional to a point. I have had an HD model for quite some time and I don't see that you would "need" anything more.

• 4 weeks later...

any idea what record mode works best for our sport?

1080p @30fps

720p @60fps

I was thinking about getting the contour roam, i like the simplified on/off record/stop switch as I always forget to turn power off to the camera, but the older contour hd model will do 720p @60fps, the newer roam does not have any 60fps options, you have to jump up a few hundred to the gps or pro model.

I got the ContourROAM as a gift and I'm kind of two minds about it. On one hand the wider angle lens (170 vs 135 I think?) is REALLY nice, but 60fps would also be really nice. Ideally you'd get both, 170degree lens and 60fps, but I think you have to choose between the two.

You can see the camera in action in my Youtube link in my sig. I use the 940p/170degree filming mode.

1080p @30fps

720p @60fps

I was thinking about getting the contour roam, i like the simplified on/off record/stop switch as I always forget to turn power off to the camera, but the older contour hd model will do 720p @60fps, the newer roam does not have any 60fps options, you have to jump up a few hundred to the gps or pro model.

I think you want the 60fps for this sport or any action filming.

My Sony Bloggie looks choppy at 30fps but very smooth at 60fps,

Edited by ParaOrdnanceLarry

1080p @30fps

720p @60fps

This video was shot 1080p @ 30FPS

The older version is very easy to turn on/off and to record. I've played around with a friends GPS model, it just has a bigger rec button and a lock for the back panel.

Edited by Tizzo