Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

870 Value

blairmckenzie1

I traded a guy 1000 rounds of .223 ammo that I loaded for a Remington 870 Wingmaster. It has a 18.5" barrel, mag tube extension and a Pachmayr pistol grip set. I'm trying to put together a shotgun for 3 Gun matches on the cheap. I've only shot one 3 Gun match and shoot maybe 3 a year. Tons of fun just don't shoot em often.

A few questions:

1. Should I throw a stock on this 870 and run it?

2. How much is this thing worth on a trade in?

3. If I can get a decent trade what should I get?

Thanks for the help

Edited by blairmckenzie1

If you can get hold of a cheap stock, then run it - does your friend no longer have the original stock? The 870 is a solid choice for Heavy Metal, and workable in other divisions (though will never be as good as a semi-auto). If you add a longer magazine tube to get capacity up to at least 8+1, you will be still more competitive. These two modifications should cost you no more than $100. If you find yourself tempted to spend any more than $100, you are better off selling the 870 and upgrading to a semi-auto; a used Remington 11-87 or a new CZ 712, both around $400.

If you can get hold of a cheap stock, then run it - does your friend no longer have the original stock? The 870 is a solid choice for Heavy Metal, and workable in other divisions (though will never be as good as a semi-auto). If you add a longer magazine tube to get capacity up to at least 8+1, you will be still more competitive. These two modifications should cost you no more than $100. If you find yourself tempted to spend any more than $100, you are better off selling the 870 and upgrading to a semi-auto; a used Remington 11-87 or a new CZ 712, both around $400.

No go on the old stock. I'm tempted to go wild on this thing but thats really nothing new. Thats why I was asking about a trade in value. Might be best to just get rid of it before I end up with a 800 dollar 870.

Edited by blairmckenzie1

I traded a guy 1000 rounds of .223 ammo that I loaded for a Remington 870 Wingmaster. It has a 18.5" barrel, mag tube extension and a Pachmayr pistol grip set. I'm trying to put together a shotgun for 3 Gun matches on the cheap. I've only shot one 3 Gun match and shoot maybe 3 a year. Tons of fun just don't shoot em often.

A few questions:

1. Should I throw a stock on this 870 and run it?

2. How much is this thing worth on a trade in?

3. If I can get a decent trade what should I get?

Thanks for the help

As 2 cents fromIPSC shooter using Rem 870:

You can buy cheap stock on clearanses or ebay and start using rem for matches, but has battel on your Rem chokes? AsI know 18.5 is cylinder barrel and some times you may toch noshoot targets. To prevent is better to use wad with containers.

Or change barrel to 20' or 22' with choke :), but it will be not in frames of budget desigion :)

Look on gunbroker, etc. to get an idea of value. Auctions can tell you alot. Sign in and do a search for sold items. Current auctions will give you an idea of what the asking price is, "sold" auctions will tell you actual price paid/

Edited by sparks1