Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Overtraining

Paul Sharp

I hate overtraining!  I hate the affects of overtraining!

I've been training hard for some things that are coming up, like lots of athletes, you have to accept that you will train right at the edge.  Usually no big deal, train up to the edge, taper for a week or two walk in ready to rock. BTDT, no big deal.

Due to craziness at work and home I went about two weeks with about 2-3 hours sleep a night, sometimes less.  By day 3 of this I was feeling like crap.  On Thursday I ate a shot on the way in with one of my sparring partners, black eye, no big deal, I have them all the time, at least once a week, as soon as I get home I ice it while standing in the shower and its gone by the next morning.  This time it got crazy.  Swelling wouldn't go away, discoloration outside and inside eye got worse and stayed for days.  Never had that happen.  Sunday, get in bed at 0400, back up and at the gym by 0700 for some conditioning work and sparring.  Alarm goes off and I can't move.  No voice, everything hurts, feels like joints are on fire, I think this is crazy, I'm just tired but if I get going I'll get that mojo working and I'll be okay.  Get to the bathroom and look in mirror, big mistake, I look worse than ever.  Eye looks like roadkill, right side of face is swollen from shot I took in the mouth 3 days ago and it still won't go away.

Usually, dings, bumps and bruises last less than a day at this point.  This is starting to freak me out.  Try to go train but head is spinning.  Everytime I try to initiate my timing is all off, I get hit, taken down, choked out, tapped out and almost knocked out by stupid stuff that should never catch me.  By now, I have no voice and I'm not sweating although I'm super hot.

My brother calls a halt to training and tells me to go home, its over, I'm sick and this ain't helping.

Monday I go to see the Doc, he looks around and says congratulations, you have bronchittis (sp)!!!!  Does some more blood work and says, btw, you've crushed your immune system, you've really done it this time.

Unreal, I know better than this and I saw it coming too.  Dumb, Dumb and did I mention, Dumb.

Stuck in the house since Monday so far, can't train, can't dry practice, nothing but vegging for me.

This blows!

I hear you.  I did that to myself in college - studying, not sparring.  I ended up getting mono, but kept working my regular insane schedule.  I ended making myself so sick I literally felt like I was going to die one night.  It took me a year to get feeling "right" again.  

I learned my lesson: Balance.

I hope you're up and at it again soon...

E

GREAT post Paul, I can relate...

I wish you a speedy recovery.

It is ok to burn the candle at both ends as long as you have enough wax...hehe

As a former pugilist I can really relate.

Check this out during your recovery:

Oil of Oregano really does wonders to boost and maintain the immune system.(the wax you need).

http://www.hiddenmysteries.com/item400/item462.html

This stuff is really the cats meow...

The only boxing workout I do these days (wife, 3 kids, not time,etc.) is on my speed bag.

Check this out:

http://home.earthlink.net/~kahuna01/

Just when you thought you knew how to address the speed bag..

(This is good stuff).

I also tape a small pix of my sights on the speed bag then relax my eyes and look for the

E ( rotated ccw 90 degrees)

l_l_l

Look at this little pix on a speed bag while you hit it, and try to track it..

Hitting the speed bag also works all the muscles that you use in holding the gun...

I hope this helps...

Merry X-mas and God Bless...

bird