Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SSD frame ?

lumpygravy

OK - I searched and read through 5+ pages of "single stack *" results so I must have weak search-fu.

Here's the situation:

I have an old Springfield single stack frame collecting dust and it occurred to me that I might be able to use it for a SSD project. The problem is that the frame has been drilled for a scope so it has three holes per side on the dustcover - six holes total.

I've also read the rulebook and cannot find any reference to holes in the frame that would disallow such a frame in SSD.

I've also read the thread on filling old screw holes and I'm considering that too.

This would be a backup (if legal) or fun gun (if not) so I won't run crying to mama no matter the answer. :roflol: Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of this?

Rules are not that hard to understand.

It's legal.

Here is a link just for fun.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=76788&view=findpost&p=890653

I wasn't seeking clarification of the rules. I believe I do understand the rules and I was 99% sure. Even with my weak search-fu, I think I would have found the post in your link if I was searching for "Production".

I was seeking confirmation by someone else who has converted/repurposed a drilled frame into a SSD legal gun.

Thanks though - now back to my Shooter's Connection wishlist... :lol:

I don't see any reason it wouldn't be legal. Certainly wouldn't be an advantage to lighten the frame. I know a lot of people have had to lighten other makers frames under the grip panels to make weight.

Canned answer though is to email Dnroi and ask.

Thanks Chuck.

It appears that a similar question for Production was answered in the affirmative.

OK - I searched and read through 5+ pages of "single stack *" results so I must have weak search-fu.

Here's the situation:

I have an old Springfield single stack frame collecting dust and it occurred to me that I might be able to use it for a SSD project. The problem is that the frame has been drilled for a scope so it has three holes per side on the dustcover - six holes total.

I've also read the rulebook and cannot find any reference to holes in the frame that would disallow such a frame in SSD.

I've also read the thread on filling old screw holes and I'm considering that too.

This would be a backup (if legal) or fun gun (if not) so I won't run crying to mama no matter the answer. :roflol: Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of this?

I had mine welded up and refinished. That is just me though.

I had mine welded up and refinished. That is just me though.

Thanks Gary.

I read in the "filling screw holes" thread that welding can be an iffy proposition with a good chance that the weld will be apparent under the finish. How did you refinish your gun? and are the old holes visible?

Can you share who did your welding for you? You can PM me if you'd like to keep it private.