Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommend Manufacturer/Smith for 686 Barrel Swap?

jkrispies

Hi all! I have a Smith and Wesson 686 that's about 17 years old and had a bunch of rounds put through it when initially purchased, though not so much lately. I bought it with a 6" barrel and have generally wished that it was shorter when I've taken it out hiking and fishing. I'm playing with the idea of swapping out the 6"er with a 4" (or possibly a 3") for use as a trail gun. I might port it, or I might not... If I could find a smith that would do a kick-butt trigger job on it at the same time, that would be a bonus, but mainly I'm just looking at barrel options right now. Any recommendations?

[Please note that this as a defensive firearm for protection against the mountain lions and packs of coyotes in the hills I frequent, rather than as a competition revolver which will "typically" go bang due to a lightened trigger, etc... though maximum accuracy from a quality barrel would certainly be appreciated since I do like to shoot it for fun.]

My knowledge base is more in the Glock/1911 realm, so any info will be well appreciated. Thanks, J

Edited by jkrispies

Well since your in SoCal, Alan Tanaka in Gardena does great work. I had my 625 done over by him, its buttery smooth 8.5lbs, which doesn't seem like much when you got people with 6lb triggers, but I wanted reliability and smoothness over weight and it lights factory ammo and reloads with Winchester LP primers just fine.

I recommend Gemini Customs

Hhmmm... Gemini has some interesting looking stuff. Curious if you have personal experience with them?

He has worked on two of my guns...great work. While he is not going to get the trigger down to a 5lb double action pull he will do a great and smooth trigger pull that is close.

Cool. I'm not terribly interested in a light trigger pull-- 99% of the time I shoot the revolver single action anyway. Thanks for the great lead!

I bought a 686-1 with an 8 3/8 barrel that had a buldge the size of a cherry 2 inches from the end. I bought a period correct 4 inch off gunbroker. Smith and Wesson changed the barrel checked out the gun, also replaced the rear sight while they had it. The total bill including shipping both ways was 89.00 bucks.I could not be more pleased with the results.

I bought a 686-1 with an 8 3/8 barrel that had a buldge the size of a cherry 2 inches from the end. I bought a period correct 4 inch off gunbroker. Smith and Wesson changed the barrel checked out the gun, also replaced the rear sight while they had it. The total bill including shipping both ways was 89.00 bucks.I could not be more pleased with the results.

Wow, that's a pretty amazing deal! Right now I'm exchanging some emails with Alan Tanaka and will probably go through him for an action job and bead blast, plus the barrel swap. Since his shop is only about 45 minutes away from me, that will save me the trouble and expense of dealing with shipping. Also, it looks like I can get a new S&W manufactured 4" barrel for $107 through Midway, so I'm toying with the idea of buying that on my own and having a place like Gemini or Mag-Na-Port do their magical drilling on it prior to Mr. Tanaka's install. This way I'm only shipping a single part which will be a lot less expensive than shipping the whole gun. I'm still not convinced that porting is worth it, though, so that may not happen in the end...

Wow, that's a pretty amazing deal! Right now I'm exchanging some emails with Alan Tanaka and will probably go through him for an action job and bead blast, plus the barrel swap. Since his shop is only about 45 minutes away from me, that will save me the trouble and expense of dealing with shipping. Also, it looks like I can get a new S&W manufactured 4" barrel for $107 through Midway, so I'm toying with the idea of buying that on my own and having a place like Gemini or Mag-Na-Port do their magical drilling on it prior to Mr. Tanaka's install. This way I'm only shipping a single part which will be a lot less expensive than shipping the whole gun. I'm still not convinced that porting is worth it, though, so that may not happen in the end...

My "moment in the sun" deal I got the gun for next to nothing in a deal, the owner was convinced it was junk. I got the barrel for 80 bucks shipped. I sent the gun back through a local Smith dealer. I was amazed the bill was so cheap. You could never tell the gun has been worked on. It shoots great. I have less than 250 in it.