Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

R&R Racing rifle targets

ErikW

The Area 1 3 Gun match had several rifle targets from R&R Racing. These were US Poppers and large (12"? 14"?) plates, hinged and weighted to fall back and self-reset by gravity. A guard in front protects the hardware. The entire plate is visible above the guard, but the lower portion of the US Popper is hidden by the guard.

My club has some of the USP and they are nice, but at about 200 yards it's a little hard for me to determine some hits.

The A13G targets had a new flasher accessory. When the struck target fell, a bright pink square went up above the guard. It was completely obvious to range officers, peanut gallery, and even me behind iron sights. However, it wasn't obvious to a couple scoped rifle shooters who struck the guards, rocking the (unstaked) target frame slightly and in turn slightly exposing a sliver of pink flasher above the guard. To the naked eye, it was completely obvious that the guard was struck, due to the dust pattern kicked up by the radiating splatter and the non-appearance of the flasher. So we had a couple shooters who got a little excited over the lack of hit calls by the range officers. I think these could have been avoided if the target frames had been staked down through their holes built for that purpose. (I'm assuming the A13G long range targets weren't staked only because they behaved like the 100 yard targets I know were not staked.)

The flasher action is the best I've seen. The flashing material is on the small side and I don't know how visible it will be at longer ranges. It really helps that the brightly colored flasher contrasts with the dark guard. The R&R flasher is much more visible than an MGM flasher (comparing typical .223 hits at ~100 and ~220 yards). Whereas only a small portion of the MGM flasher becomes visible, the entire R&R flasher becomes visible.

Another benefit of the R&R targets is the guard provides a visible reference point for us iron-sight shooters who can't see the actual targets above the guards. The A13G targets were painted white (then pock-marked when shot, become camoflauged against the sand berms) but their guards were dark, bare steel.

The only thing that could have been better about the R&R targets at A13G is they could have been staked into the ground and the target faces could have been painted better contrast with the berm.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't remember who makes them, but they were at SMM3G this year. Their

the ones that have the flag on them that springs up when hit. They were

a lot faster visual that waiting to watch the heave la rue target fall

over.

• 4 weeks later...

I can't believe that some one didn't come up with that idea first!

we have six of these targets for our monthly practical rifle match

and still could use more, they work flawlessly when properly secured

and leveled.

Craig

I used to shoot down at TriCountry for a bit - the stomping grounds of R&R. I took all the cool gizmos R&R provided down there for granted. Every one of them was a quality piece of machinery. It's no suprise that their poppers kick butt.

Highly recommended.