Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Finishing a Marathon

kdj

I managed to finish (I wouldn't say run - I'm not a runner!) the San Diego Marathon today.

This was the only non-shooting goal I'd set for myself this year ... it was something I've been meaning to do forever and I'd set it before I realized that I was going to be devoting all my training time to dry firing.

I don't recommend than any sane individual runs a marathon without training :wacko: but a few decades of misogi training have enabled me to finish most things I start.

Now, I never have to do that again and can get back to my shooting but I'm glad I did it once :P

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

Kevin;

Congrats! In about 6 months, you'll forget how miserable it was and start thinking about doing another one. May I suggest the Big Sur Marathon? If you're *ever* going to get a runner's high, it'll be there! Plus, when you're done, you can go to Abalonetti's seafood restaurant in Monterey, have the best calamari on earth and drink Anchor Steam on draft without feeling guilty!

A marathon's a heck of a goal to have checked off the list!

mb

Finishing a marathon is an impressive accomplishment. Heck, a half marathon is an amazing accomplishment. Achieving a goal is always a rewarding experience as well.

I'm trying avoid goals for the most part and just try to "improve" in everything I do. I'm on the verge of setting some goals for myself in the weight room, but I'm fighting it. When I achieve goals, I tend to think, "Ah, I'm finished," and for most things I'm doing now, I would prefer to continue improving indefinitely. I'll gladly make slower progress as long as I can continue to make progress over a longer period of time and eventually go beyond where my goals might have been. But it's very, very tough to avoid having goals with lifting weights.