Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need a load for comp'd barrel

bamf_shadow

Never messed with a comp'd barrel, but I picked up an M&P 9mm 4.25" with a comp. I had dismal success loading 125gr lead with HP38 for my 9mm Pro so I got rid of most of my bullets. Can anyone make me a recommendation for a minor PF load using HP38 (I have a ton, use it will my .45 loads). Should I be using plated/jacketed rounds with the comp? Only thing I have like that is wwb... Thanks in advance!!!

Sorry, looking for major PF

For major velocity use a jacketed bullet with no lead exposed. I happen to use Montana Gold 124gr CMJ. Powders for 9 major and I'll list them in my order of preferece.

Silhouette

AutoComp

HS6

There are others but these are the top of the heap IMHO.

My silhouette load Hot Weather 7.7gr Win SPP, set 1.165 MTG 124gr CMJ. Cold Weather 7.5gr. AC 7.0 same OAL, HS6 8.2gr. Do a search here on the forum and you will find 1,000+ loads for 9 major.

A word of caution, check all 9 mm brass with a magnet if it sticks it is an imposter, don't loadit major. Use once fired brass, understand that there are risks in using brass over and over again, .

Great start, thanks! I just so happen to have 1k PMC once-fired saved up for just such an occasion. I also have 500 Federal SPP, that should interchange with the Winchesters just fine? I was worried that I would have to use magnum primers for this. Most of my shooting is during warm to hot weather. Is the AC temperature sensative? I will have to research which of these powders meter well from the Lee Auto Disk as that is all I have. Also, I need to check the Storm Lake barrel to make sure it will take a round loaded that long. Guess I should buy some bullets (wish I could find a smaller quantity to test with).

Guess I should buy some bullets (wish I could find a smaller quantity to test with).

Bamf, buy 124 gr MG bullets (either JHP or CMJ) in large

quantity - save some money that way. There are alternatives,

but they're either not as good, or not available for sale when

you need them. You'll need every one of the bullets:))

I'd start with the WAC - fills the case less - good powder to

start with.

You might want to switch one or more components after you've fired

3,000 rounds, but then you'll know more than you do now.

Goodluck,

Jack

I just ordered 1k MG 124gr CMJ and picked up a lb of WAC. I need to see how long I can load these in my 9mm Storm Lake M&P barrel. Doing some research it seems that a lot of people using the 115gr CMJ can't load them much past 1.150", but I'm not sure how the different ogive will do. Thinking that if I max out at 1.150" I need to start @ 6.6gr or so. I have seen some mentions of a 124gr CMJ @ 1.145" with 6.8gr making 174PF, and with my pistol I think I need to get around 170PF to get the comp working (YHM 3 port).

Darrell, that is good to hear. I am hoping to load the MG 124gr CMJ to similar lengths. Also hoping that the Lee AutoDisk Pro drops this WAC well.

Pm your email and i'll send you all the load data for the m&p including comp'd 9 major.