Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help with Digital camera and lenses......

I was going to get a Nikon D3100 with 18-55 and 55-200 lenses ($700) but at looking at lense info the 55-200 only has a 3.6 mag ratio

I started looking at the D700 with 18-105, ($1500),the 18-105 has a 5.8 mag ratio which would seem to be a better lense than the 3100's 55-200.

I know I can get the D7000 with 18-200($1900), but that may be out of my price range.

I just don't understane the whole lense thing I guess and don't want a costly mistake!!!!

I'm looking for a do all general purpose SLR and was hoping there were some camera buffs here!?

Thanks for any and all input.

I've been getting some great tips here too! Watch the D7000, they put it on sale with that lens.

If you're looking at the Nikons, another one to look at is the D5100

Costco:

$1,049.99 Nikon D5100 DSLR Camera

with 18-55 & 55-300mm

VR Lenses, Case,

4GB 30MB/s SD Card,

I shoot Canon, but I don't think you can go wrong with Nikon.

The D700 has a full frame (e.g. 35mm film equivalent) sensor. It should also be the most costly of the lot (until you get to D3). The D7000 and D3100 both have a DX sensor, which is smaller than full frame. What that gets you with longer lenses is more effective reach. The crop factor is 1.6, so with a 200mm lens it's effectively a 320mm (200x1.6).

When it comes to Kit lenses, I wouldn't fret too much. There is a significant difference in cost and quality when you make the jump from standard lenses and move into professional-grade. For now, buy what you can afford because it will be more camera than you probably know what to do with.

Here are some resource links. Amazon.com is also good for their user reviews (good and bad).

www.kenrockwell.com

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/

It is fashionable on the photo forums to dis the kit lenses. Don't sweat it. When I jumped to digital, it was with a a Canon Digital Rebel (all thundering 6.3 megs)and the kit lens. I did a couple of years of magazine articles and four books, and no-one from either art department complained.