Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What to use to cut down a front sight?

Cy Soto

I have Warren/Sevigny sights on my G34 and even with the 0.245" FS my 124gr bullets are printing too high. I calculated that I need a 0.270" front sight and Dawson does not offer this height on a plain black with a 0.125" width. I ended up ordering a 0.285" instead which I will have to cut to 0.270" but don't know what is the best way to cut it.

Should I use a file or would a sharpening stone work best? Also, what should I use to refinish the top of the sight after I have cut it?

Thanks!

My smith used a file when he did one of mine. Just dont use a course one like your hardware store sells. Just do it at the range and go slow and shoot as once its gone its gone

For future reference, dawson can make pretty much anything out there for a little extra. I had a black sight made for a specific STI flattop cut that is only avaliable in FO one height one width. I had a different height, with and black instead of FO for like 20 buck over the std black sight and it took them like 2 weeks to get to me

Edited by EkuJustice

I've used a file and a mill. A file is a tad easier, and less stressful. Stop short with a file and use wet sandpaper to smooth it up. To refinish, cheaply is rattle can. You can try a cold bluing kit or Duracoat. If it is a nice piece you are going to have a while, send it off to get Cerakote or Ion Bond.

Yeap, the Dremel is tempting but I don't wanna chance it! :devil:

I will try the file followed by the wet sandpaper. I think I will take the tools with me to the range and do the cutting there verifying the POA/POI between passes with the file.

Thanks a bunch folks! :cheers:

For future reference, dawson can make pretty much anything out there for a little extra. I had a black sight made for a specific STI flattop cut that is only avaliable in FO one height one width. I had a different height, with and black instead of FO for like 20 buck over the std black sight and it took them like 2 weeks to get to me

I didn't know that they did that, that's good to know. I have another sight that I need to switch out for a taller one, I will check with them.

I will try the file followed by the wet sandpaper. I think I will take the tools with me to the range and do the cutting there verifying the POA/POI between passes with the file.

That is what I do.

CHA-LEE just cut down a sight and is going to send it off to get it refinished. You might drop him a note and see if you can sned yours along with his.

CHA-LEE just cut down a sight and is going to send it off to get it refinished. You might drop him a note and see if you can sned yours along with his.

I just ordered it today and with Christmas just around the corner, I don't expect to see it in the mail for a couple of weeks but I will check with CHA-LEE and hopefully he'll be sending other parts for refinishing soon. Thanks for the heads up!

....so you if have time, patience and some skill you can do about anything you set your mind to.

Time and patience I have; skill... Not so much. :blush:

One option would be to shoot a group at 25 yards. This will tell you how much correction the sight needs, and you could send it to a smith to machine down to the exact height and then refinish it. Shipping will be cheap, and the work should be perfect that way.

One option would be to shoot a group at 25 yards. This will tell you how much correction the sight needs, and you could send it to a smith to machine down to the exact height and then refinish it. Shipping will be cheap, and the work should be perfect that way.

I am pretty certain at this point that what I need is a 0.270" which is what I calculated at 20 yards but I will follow your advice and double check my math to make certain that what I calculated is correct.