Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Steel Gun

blind bat

I'm contemplating building an Open Steel gun this winter with a mini red dot melted into the slide. I'm debating on using a cheap LEO trade in 17, 19. Since it's going to be running fairly light loads (probably <140pf) and have a slide mounted red dot I'm thinking that I'll need to keep the slide as light as possible. I'm leaning towards using a SJC 5 Port Comp.

What do you think about these three options:

Use a G19 slide and have the slide machined for the C-More

Use a G17 slide and have the slide machined for the C-More and speed holes to drop some weight

Use a Lone Wolf Stainless G17 slide slide machined for the C-More and speed holes

I'm leaning towards the Lone Wolf slide because I can always put the gun back to stock and trade/sell it. From what I've been told the Glock slides are difficult to machine which is also an advantage of the using Lone Wolf slide. The G19 would be cheaper if the slide can be machined for the red dot but I'm not sure how well it would be balanced.

Thoughts?

Edited by blind bat

Has your slide been lightened at all? Any idea what the weight difference is between the LW slide and the OEM glock slide?

Also, what load are you using? I have been contemplating using MG 95gr JHP with whatever powder I can find that won't turn the gun into a disgusting mess. I have Autocomp, N320, Titegroup and WST on the shelf. My gut say Autocomp but that might require cleaning my gun which I consider to be sacrilege.

<<<<<<<< here I used a 3-hole minor comp made of steel material by sjc on a Glock 17. I wondered why this comp is not on their catalog anymore? It added a little weight upfront and a better balance on a lightweight gun but didnt cause any reliability issues.

Edited by BoyGlock