Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Berry's Bullets 230 RNDS

djthemac

Howdy!

I just picked up my first progressive (XL650) and I am looking forward to pumping out some rounds. I have been loading rifle (.223 and 308) almost exclusively since I started reloading a few months ago, so admittedly pistols are a different ball game to me. What do you guys think about this recipe. Any issues with unique?

Gun: S&W 1911pd

Brass: Mixed

Powder: Unique

Powder Charge: 4.8, 5.0, 5.2, 5.4

Primer: CCI 300 Large Pistol primer

COAL: 1.265

Unique is a good general purpose powder and one I keep around all the time. Check your loads in a manual.

It runs a little dirty but you'll be cleaning the gun anyway so if thats what you got use it.

I've gone to using CLAYs for 230 loads

Enjoy the hunt for the best load in your gun

jcc7x7

Unique worked pretty well for me using 5.9 gr. behind Berrys 230gr plated bullets. I recently switched to 231 though because it metered so much better out of my 550. Unique worked OK but it would occasionally throw a 6.2-6.3 charge that I couldn't explain. I'm sure it was me but I haven't had the issue with 231.

Edited by Dirty Rod

Just got back from the range! All digits intact, and none the worse for wear. I think my 1911 really loved 5.4 grains and formed 1 ragged hole. I started at 5.0g and had a FTE and felt like I was getting hit in the face with dust particles (blow back?)

I have 1250 230grain BB's to use up but I stumbled accross SNS 230grain LRN that I would like to try after I finish these.

I'd be very careful on using Berry's 230 grain round nose bullets. At least in my Kimber .45, the nose of the Beryy round flatens slightly on the motion from the feed ramp into the barrel. This causes the pistol to lock up and now you have to clear the jam. I had to withdraw from a match because of this issue. I wnet back and tried different lenghts and power charges to no effect.

While this is more than likely a problem specific to the Kimber, it was the customer service that was dismal. I had ordered 1000 of the 230 grain roundnose, and when I finally figured out what the specific issue was, I was past the time you can return the rounds. I offered to pay shipping both ways if Berrys would trade me for the same amount of a box of unopened 500 roundnose rounds for same number of the flat nose rounds, but they refused. Never do business with them again.

Rod, I've heard of unique troubles through dillon presses, how much 231 are you using for the 230 grain RNDS?

I definitely had issues with Unique. I'm pretty close to Dillon so I've been in to discuss metering Unique several times but never solved the occasional +.3-.4 drop. They told me the press should be capable of +- .2 and I've read that some are able to get consistent +- .1 but not me.

I've only done 700-800 since I switched so I'm still experimenting but 5.1 with an OAL of 1.265 is working well in all my guns. I just did 20 at 1.260, 20 at 5.2, and 10 at 5.3 to see if there is any difference but my current load has worked well in my 1911s, XDs, and Glock.

I don't have a chrono though so I don't have data on them. Just looking for pressure signs, checking accuracy, and trying to stay in the safe range. Once I get to .308 I'll pick up a chrono.

Edited by Dirty Rod

Rod, I've heard of unique troubles through dillon presses, how much 231 are you using for the 230 grain RNDS?

I definitely had issues with Unique. I'm pretty close to Dillon so I've been in to discuss metering Unique several times but never solved the occasional +.3-.4 drop. They told me the press should be capable of +- .2 and I've read that some are able to get consistent +- .1 but not me.

I've only done 700-800 since I switched so I'm still experimenting but 5.1 with an OAL of 1.265 is working well in all my guns. I just did 20 at 1.260, 20 at 5.2, and 10 at 5.3 to see if there is any difference but my current load has worked well in my 1911s, XDs, and Glock.

I don't have a chrono though so I don't have data on them. Just looking for pressure signs, checking accuracy, and trying to stay in the safe range. Once I get to .308 I'll pick up a chrono.

Thanks for the recipe!

I emailed Berry's Bullets load guy Jay, and he said to try 5.2 - 5.8 max with w-231. I loaded 7 rounds each at 5.2, 5.3, 5.4, 5.5, 5.6

5.4 and 5.5 yielded the best groups, with one ragged hole at 7 yards with the 5.4. 5.6 got pretty snappy and felt similar to GI hardball, I think I will set my powder thrower for 5.4 and start cranking em out.

• 3 weeks later...

I'd be very careful on using Berry's 230 grain round nose bullets. At least in my Kimber .45, the nose of the Beryy round flatens slightly on the motion from the feed ramp into the barrel. This causes the pistol to lock up and now you have to clear the jam. I had to withdraw from a match because of this issue. I wnet back and tried different lenghts and power charges to no effect.

While this is more than likely a problem specific to the Kimber, it was the customer service that was dismal. I had ordered 1000 of the 230 grain roundnose, and when I finally figured out what the specific issue was, I was past the time you can return the rounds. I offered to pay shipping both ways if Berrys would trade me for the same amount of a box of unopened 500 roundnose rounds for same number of the flat nose rounds, but they refused. Never do business with them again.

I had this same issue with another (moly) bullet in my Kimber. Not sure why my Kimber has what appears to be a steeper angle into the chamber than another 1911 would, but I don't think it's the bullet's fault either.