Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Meopta ZD vs SWFA 1-4 LEO use

cop1211

I'm looking at getting a new 1-4 scope for duty/SWAT use. I work nights, and a majority of the SWAT missions are in low or no light.

I already have 3 TR24's and 2 Aimpoint M4s's.

I'm looking at the Meopta ZD and the SWFA 1-4.

I was hoping to get any info on either one of these.

I've heard that the Meopta during low/ no light actually is too bright.

I haven't used the SWFA so I can't help compare them, but the ZD's low light setting are probably fine and are lower than the K-Dot. I just switched from the TR24 to the ZD and happy I did. I did a review on it HERE that you might want to check out. Hope it helps.

Silly question and off topic but, they allow you to you buy and use your own gear?

You might want to look here for more information. I don't recall much discussion of low power optics because it's largely devoted to long range, but there are a number of people there that can comment on night shooting.

Edited by Graham Smith

Yes we can purchase our own rifles from an approved list, and any optic that we want to buy.

For SWAT they will issue a Rock River with Eotech, for patrol they just got issued 1960's surplus Colts, no optics.

So I buy all of my own rifles/optics to use on duty/SWAT.

Still cant decide on the SWFA or the Meopta ZD.

Thanks.

My SWFA 1-4 has to go back too. The illumination has failed. Read of several others with the same issue. While the glass is great and the FFP is real nice, I find the reticle isn't focused well unless you find the sweet spot in the very center of the lens.

I'm rather surprised by the number of people who have reported problems with the SWFA scope. I have read several reviews of the Meopta and they have been quite positive.

is a good example. Another possible scope to consider is the Vortex 1-4x,
a review from the same guy (he treats the scope quite rough).

What is it that you want the. Ra scope to do that the TR24s aren't doing.

Matt

I'm looking at getting a new 1-4 scope for duty/SWAT use. I work nights, and a majority of the SWAT missions are in low or no light.

I already have 3 TR24's and 2 Aimpoint M4s's.

I'm looking at the Meopta ZD and the SWFA 1-4.

I was hoping to get any info on either one of these.

I've heard that the Meopta during low/ no light actually is too bright.

For the guys that had to send the SWFA back, how old are your scopes? In my readings I saw where that was an issue with earlier scopes.

Mine was from the first shipment. Your comment gives me hope that the replacement might fare better.

For the guys that had to send the SWFA back, how old are your scopes? In my readings I saw where that was an issue with earlier scopes.

It was about a year and a half ago. The windage turret clicked but didn't do anything. Good service from SWFA though, they took it back and I replaced it with a Leupold.