Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Limited Pro Question

LRgriff

Quick question I'm sure you guys/gals can help with...I have an opportunity to pick up a like-new Limited Pro in .40. I do not have a Tanfoglio or a CZ, but have researched this site and the CZ Clone forum site extensively. I know the differences between the various models; what I cannot find is much first-hand info on the Limited Pro--unlike the Stock, Limited, Match, etc. I'm not asking whether I should buy it or not, but simply some opinions by those that own or who have shot one. I do not compete, so the gun would just be for range fun...thanks in advance!

Edited by LRgriff

I don't own a Limited Pro and only handled one briefly before I got introduced to the world of CZ and CZ clones.

Do you need/want DA/SA ? Like other CZ designs, the DA pull is pretty long and heavy out of the box. Not as bad as a stock Beretta 92FS, though. Of course, for range fun/plinking, you'll likely be shooting in SA mode only anyway. Most Tanfoglio's have good SA trigger pulls out the box, and even better ones after some basic polishing.

For fun shooting, I don't like the front strap checkering. For competition, though, I can't believe I shot my first year of matches without front strap checkering (or grip tape).

I don't mind DA/SA, and I own a 92FS, so the heavy pull (well, the D Spring mod helped some) I am used to. Honestly I rather enjoy the challenge of trying to shoot any gun, regardless of trigger, as well as I can. But, your point is valid--I prefer to shoot my SIG 1911, for instance, than the 92 in large part because of the trigger. I imagine with some buffing the Witness would be fine for my purposes. I am curious about the grip on the Limited Pro...without another model to compare, it appears the grip panels are longer than the Limited, but shorter than the Stock or Match?

The frame is the same grip as the "limited" and "gold team" models , but without the magwell....hence the difference in grip panel length.

I don't mind DA/SA, and I own a 92FS, so the heavy pull (well, the D Spring mod helped some) I am used to. Honestly I rather enjoy the challenge of trying to shoot any gun, regardless of trigger, as well as I can. But, your point is valid--I prefer to shoot my SIG 1911, for instance, than the 92 in large part because of the trigger. I imagine with some buffing the Witness would be fine for my purposes. I am curious about the grip on the Limited Pro...without another model to compare, it appears the grip panels are longer than the Limited, but shorter than the Stock or Match?

I have the Limited Pro in 9mm. I use it in competition in USPSA limited and 3-gun. I have thousands of rounds thru it. No issues or problems. I don't shoot it much using the DA, but in SA the trigger is fine. Love the gun. With the new Mec-Gar mags it is even better. I get many compliments on its design and looks. Everyone has a Glock. I thought the grip panels were the same as the Limited, I have the replacement aluminum panels on mine, not the walnut ones that came with it along with the mag well. Go for it.

gerritm

Edited by gerritm

Gerritm, thank you for the post...I see no reason not to pick it up; it's a good deal and in great shape. To quote a post I once saw, "I would rather shoot a gun than operate a firearm." I think this sums up how I feel about Glocks, XDMs, etc...all fine choices, but there's something special about owning, maintaining, and shooting a well-crafted steel weapon. I'll pick it up today, buy some spare mags, and let you know how it goes...

Let us know how you like it. My friends all call me a gun snob cause I prefer metal to plastic. Just like the way they feel and handle. Nothing wrong with the plastic guns, my son shoots a Glock 34, just not for me although I do carry a Ruger SR9C instead of my Kimber 3" Ultra Carry. More because I keep it in the car and don't want my it stolen. You might have a little issue with the mags. Not sure on the .40, but Henning can help you out. I shot many rounds thru my original 9mm mags before the new ones came out with no major problems. Just needed to learn how they work and adjust them.

I appreciate the info, and it's good to hear that Mec-Gar is fixing the mag situation. I can imagine how frustrating that could be. I've had good luck with their mags in other variants, plus they are inexpensive. Had to babysit a sick child today, so will pick up the .40 Pro tomorrow or Friday. Gerritm, as for the SR9c, I may have to buy one myself...really nice trigger and points well.

Not to take advantage of everyone's hospitality, but I was curious if most here grease their Witnesses? I use Ballistol without issue to lube/protect, but perhaps I need something more substantial on the slide, etc....

CASA (casarange.com) in west Pulaski Co. hosts an IDPA, Steel Challenge, and USPSA match every month. The Benton Gun Club is pretty close,too.

Lubrication wise...I use heavy synthetic motor oil, slide glide or synthetic grease. My .40 Limited is usually oozing a bit...

Thank you Pivo...not to derail my own thread, but where do you shoot in LR?

Edited by pivoproseem

Slide glide (light) for the cooler temperatures up here in the NW. My Limited .40 ran like a champ the entire day on Sunday where the temperature reported by various people's cars were hovering around 29-30F. I was actually a little worried that it would be too cold, but no problems at all.

A lot of people around here supposedly use Mobil-1 as well as other synthetic motor oil as their lubricant for their 2011 platforms. They seemed to do well in the cold weather as well. I don't know what the production folks use.

IMHO everyone should read this article on gun lube:

http://www.grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

After I did, I decided to go with Lubriplate SFL-1 grease. It has a wide window of operating temperatures and has excellent characteristics for guns.

Data sheet:

http://www.lubriplate.com/pdf/pds/8_19_SFL-2_1_0_00.pdf

It works great in the cold as well as the Idaho desert heat. I've shot my pistols in temperatures from 10F up to 110F with no problems. The spec sheet lists the operating temp as:

"LUBRIPLATE SFL-1 has an approximate operating temperature range of -60 to 300°F"

I've been running it for 2 years on all my pistols. .22, 9mm, 10mm, .45 calibers and Tanfoglio, Para, Bersa, Browning brands. I run it in my shotgun (FN SLP) and ran it in my old Yugo SKS as well.

The main advantages to the SFL is that it lasts a LONG time. I only clean my gun because it has so much soot caked on the bolt face, barrel lug, extractor, etc. Usually its still operating fine, and feels as smooth as butter. I've usually try to remember to clean it after 1500 rounds or so but many times I forget and it goes to 2000 rounds. I never feel that reduction in smoothness after a bunch of rounds that I would notice when I was using oil. Also the inside of the gun stays cleaner since the Lubriplate SFL doesn't migrate like oil and get everything wet so soot/dirt sticks to it.

Several of my buddies have tried it out and have become believers. My buddy's 1911 would require cleaning every 600 rounds or so, but after he started using the Lubriplate SFL he can go 1500 now easily.

The SR9c has one of the best triggers of any small Glock safe type trigger I have shot. Has a slide safety also. Excellent carry gun for around $400. Has the extended mag where you can load 17 and it fits a bigger hand. Not bad either with the small 10 round mag. Points and shoots very accurate.

Have to give a good job on the Brian Enos Slide Glide. I use it on all of my slides including my DPMS 3G AR15. Works great. Have had no problems or failures with it. I use the light viscosity on the slide and all rub spots. Then a little oil on the trigger etc.

• 1 month later...

I bought it thru Gunbroker.com from a dealer in Thief River Falls Minnesota. The dealer is Hunter's Outlet.

I have done nothing to the gun. I figure why mess with success. I have at least 5K - 7K rounds thru it and shoot it almost every weekend in 3-gun, USPSA, and IDPA. Other than change out the ejector and spring nothing has been done. Everyone I see having problems have done mods to the gun. I like it just the way it is. The trigger pulls around 4#.I do have a Henning Magwell.

Here is a link on Gunbroker to a Limited from them. I did not see a Limited Pro, but might be worth a call.

gerritm

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=270098933

Edited by gerritm