Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag release

Julian DeSouza

I am a right handed shooter with med/small hands. I am trying the mag release on right side of the gun and hitting it with my strong hand middle finger. Is this a bad idea. This is a new technique with little time. It feels quick and good. The only problem I can think of is accidentally hitting the mag release while firing. It has not happened yet. I like to get your idea, especially if you tried this or use this.

Julian

It's actually done by quite a few shooters who have trouble reaching the release.

If you do a search you will find more info on it. I am 100% positive I have read topics related to that in the past few months.

I would actually like to do it on my 2011 so that my thumb stays on the thumb safety, but I cannot do this on my Gen3 Glock, so I want to keep things consistent across the different guns that I shoot.

I just keep practicing shifting my grip and reattaining my grip post mag change.

Edited by JaeOne3345

We do this with quite a few female shooters during M9 training. There are a few professional shooters doing this as well. I also see left handed male shooters pretty much weekly who mastered a traditional mag release. So it is definitely feasible for you to do. I have small hands, to drop a mag I use my support hand middle finger knuckle to flip the gun towards my strong hand thumb to drop the mag then reestablish my grip while the new mag is going in the gun.

thanks for the link. I thought it was a past topic could not find it.

I use to hit the mag release with my support hand thumb on my way to a fresh mag. I think I could be faster this way. I will be able to keep my master grip.

Thanks all for your help. I am excited.

Julian

Edited by Julian DeSouza

I have used my middle finger on my right hand with a traditional mag release location with fair results, I don't think it is any faster than using my right hand thumb. If I could change my release to the right side I would try that.

I have used my middle finger on my right hand with a traditional mag release location with fair results, I don't think it is any faster than using my right hand thumb. If I could change my release to the right side I would try that.

You could get an unsportmanship penalty? :P