Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RO Stage Manipulations

aztecdriver

[Yes, this is one of those infamous Skydiver scenarios, but I think it's good for discussion.]

If a (poorly written) WSB says "Start position: Sitting anywhere in the shooting area. Handgun ready and holstered. Procedure: On start signal, engage all targets as visible within the shooting area."

The WSB doesn't say you have to sit in the chair.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[Yes, this is one of those infamous Skydiver scenarios, but I think it's good for discussion.]

If a (poorly written) WSB says "Start position: Sitting anywhere in the shooting area. Handgun ready and holstered. Procedure: On start signal, engage all targets as visible within the shooting area."

post-10187-0-14937200-1321910619_thumb.p

The chair is not nailed down. The ground is not marked around the chair.

As noted previously, disturbing the props is not allowed, so if the shooter wants to use the chair, they have to sit where the chair is. Are they are free to sit anywhere else on CoF without a chair since it satisfies the WSB's start position? Or can an RO compel the shooter to use the chair (because all the previous shooters used the chair)?

Or does the "Sitting anywhere in the shooting area" imply that the shooter is free to move the chair to their desired start location?

I forgot to tack on my opinion: Personally, I feel that the shooter should be able to move the chair, but after the previous discussion about not moving props, the shooter is free sit anywhere on the COF. If that location where they choose to start happens to be where the chair is, then good for them.

IMO, the WSB allows them to move the chair anywhere in the shooting area. That is exactly what the poorly written SB say; "Start position: Sitting anywhere in the shooting area."

No, it doesn't say ""Start position: Sitting on the chair anywhere in the shooting area.", but it doesn't say sitting on the ground, either.

The WSB doesn't say you have to sit in the chair.

Nope, it doesn't. So a shooter could potentially sit in a japanese sitting position (seiza) anywhere else, and get a good launch assuming they are limber enough.

And once you allow the chair to be moved, can it be turned around?

Since the WSB doesn't say sit IN the chair, couldn't you sit on the top of the back?

Or if it was a folding chair, couldn't you fold it and lean back to sit on the top edge while remaining in a nearly standing position?

Edited by Punkin Chunker

I think many times stage designers get too crazy trying to control the shooter and the start position. Nail the chair down, say they have to be seated and let it go at that. People love to game. Give them what they want and let them game. Many times it make no difference and it makes the shooter happy and avoids conflicts. Seems simple.

I have been to a major matche where the start position was seated in chair with elbows on table. THe RO would not start me because of foot position and there was nothing about foot position in the WSB. His argument was he started everyone the same. I hated it. It was thjelast stage and I just complied with him rather call the RM.

Sometimes it seems like people are control freaks.

Edited by Coach