Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Front sight width

sledgee

I've always thought that the iron sight picture offered by the M14 was just purely perfect.

Unlike my friend and patient tutor Kurt Miller, I never considered the NM front, even for Highpower, and I'm a way better Highpower shooter than 3 gunner.  3 gunning revs my engines, though.

Been fooling with AR sights, and wondering why I can't shoot the Mousegun as well, slowfire.  So I checked the sight radii, and saw that the 14 has 27", and the 16 20".  A little obvious arithmetic indicates that a 16 front should be 74% as wide as a 14 sight, to appear the same size.

My 14 sight is .072.  I was shooting for .052 as I worked down a 16 sight, but I ended up with everything square, centered, and vertical at .049.  Good enough.  It definitely seems to offer more precision on my 2MOA dryfire target out the picture window (a power line insulator).

It's 4 degrees and blowing nine-0 today in the Texas Panhandle, so I'll just have to wait and see, but I think I've stumbled onto something for the long-range use of my iron-sighted AR15.

I know that when I first read KellyN saying that Bennie Cooley uses an .035 front, I thought that was plumb crazy.  I don't think that anymore.  Awful fragile, though.  Even my .049 sight is very fragile.  I could probably bend it with my fingertip.

I wonder about that crosshair front sight for the 16.  Seems like the crosshair might be tits for longrange small targets, and the rim useful for hosing, like JP's DoubleRing Sights.  

Thoughts?  Thanks.

Joe

I know this is goofy, but has anyone thought about whacking the post off an AR sight, then drilling it out to hold a piece of wire?  Then if you tweaked your sight accidentally, you could just pull out the old wire and pop in a new one.

Joe:

I vasilated between wide and narrow on ARs. Finally I decided it was the sight radius that was screwy for me not just the width. I tried an AR with the front sight all the way out to the flash hider/brake and it was GREAT! Yea it aint the 27" we LOVE but its a darn sight ( pun intended) better than anything I tried befor on the little black carbine. For what its worth, there are several companies that make clamp on front sight fixtures for ARs for different barrel diameters. I think this is the way to go instead of just thinning and fattening front sights!! See you soon.             KURT

Kurt-

Yeah, thinning the front sight doesn't do anything to change the alignment advantages of a longer sight radius.

The rifle, er, carbine in question is a Dissipator, though, so there's no place to go forward with a front.

I definitely prefer the sight picture now, though, just as I prefer a .100 pistol sight to a .125.

Know anyone who has fooled with those crosshair replacement fronts?

Thanks.

Joe.

Joe:

Todd tried one last year at MM3G. He decided he didn't like it! Thats the only instance I know of in which it was used. You might try John Gangle at JP as it was his system and see what he thinks.             KURT

The JP fronts are the ticket (at least for me) but buy a couple as one snag on a barricade and you have trouble. I am I wrong or are they .030?  That said, I am the worst AR jockey in the whole northwest. I see VERY slowly when I put the da**  AR in my hands, I just don't translate from pistol yet but man is it fun. NNNNNNN