Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Practice

Tangram

I have been thinking about the discussions/contributions on the Zen forum. Began wondering what your Practice is. Meditation, reflection, and awareness are three forms of Practice that I engage in. By definition Practice carries the concept of regular and frequent.

I do sitting meditation most days. I am of the sit down and shut-up school, with opportunities for Tonglin and attention to my breath. I enjoy sitting with groups too.

Reflection is another regular form. The words reflective practitioner have resonance here. When shooting opening my awareness to what I do. Substitution of more effective actions for less.

Awareness of mundane actions is the third form. Paying attention is key here. Wash hands with awareness of turning on the water, the feel the scent, my response, the splashing….

Some instructors

Pema Chodron

Jon Kabat-Zinn

Thích Nhất Hạnh

Awareness of mundane actions is the third form. Paying attention is key here. Wash hands with awareness of turning on the water, the feel the scent, my response, the splashing….

That is what my way of life, in each moment, has come down to.

be

You have reminded me to continue zazen (sitting meditation). The best thing I ever learned in martial arts was how to breathe. I had a sensei that would tell us "how can you not fight (aikido) if you can not breathe!"

Awareness

Whether the student practices swordsmanship, archery, caligraphy, or tea

ceremony, any conscious understanding of the practice that remains in the

mind will only cause conflict during a performance.

-Munenori

Relayed by Brian's Maku mozo! postings