Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open G17

buckaroo45

Ahoy L Patterson,

I've carried a revolver off and on for most of my life. I've also seen references of "turning to the dark side" for those dabbling in Open guns. Having recently turned 65 I also qualify as an old guy. What we have here is an old guy with a revolver background and some proficiency in their use trying to get a new fangled plastic gun to do things it doesn't seem to like to do. Ergo "Old guy confronting the dark side. Betcha' I'm not the only one trying to get a poor man's Open gun running. This is just a running conversation with people of similiar interest. Welcome to the round table. :goof:

Ron

TY63917

I'm following the thread because I shot a 625 for a couple of years then a G34 in Production. Now I have a pair of 24's, 1 with a C-More and the other set for Limited/L10. I also have a 24 slide and a 40/9 conversion threaded barrel that I am going to set-up for GSSF/Steel Challenge. In my younger days I was a wheel gunner with a Python and Ruger 357's then a Model 29 and a 686. Then I found a Detonics and the 1911 craze started before it ended with 5. Tried an XD and now it is Glock #7 or 8 with the conversion barrel. I really should not have gone to that armorers school.

Oh my L! You're almost to far gone to save. I shot a plastic Springer Precision XDM 40 in Limited for a while and came to my senses about 9 months ago. My hands don't like plastic guns! I mostly shoot a Carmonized 625 and 627 set up for Open Steel tho I still like to play with the trashey girls on occasion, ergo the Open G17.

I'm authorized to try one last time to save you.

Go towards the light, L. Take my hand if you want to live ....... DO IT NOW !!!!!

So much for today's drama. same BAT Time, etc ........

• 2 weeks later...

Ahoy goat68,

This is still a work in progress. The lightest spring I had on hand is 12# and cleared up a LOT of the problem; at least with factory ammo. I just received the extractor parts recommended and am waiting for access to my local Glock jockey to install as my hands just won't do it any more. Should get it done next week. I won't keep the results a secret.

Stay tuned .........

Ron

TY63917

Resident Poser

Ahoy all,

Got the Glockparts extractor and spring installed along w/ a 12 lb spring. Ran a mag of 21 factory Remington 115's w/ 1 fail to eject and a big stick of my major PF loads w 2 fail to go into battery and 1 fail to eject. Donno if I mentioned but this is supposed to be a Barstow barrel that does have an SJC Comp. I've been told by Shay @ Akai Custom Guns that it doesn't go into battery very well. Almost like there's a "speed bump" just before lockup. I wonder if this set of parts needs MORE recoil spring ??????

Thoughts? :wacko:

I've been reading this thread for quite some time. Going your circuitous route may not be a guarantee to reach the end of the dark tunnel.

We old guys should enjoy our time as much as we can so why not do the shortest route to our enjoyment. Revise your set up NOW and be done w/ it, discard/sell the cmore and sjc mount and have a microdot sight mounted on the frame that stays clear of the ejection path. I would prefer the Carver over the SJC to add more weight on the light Glock.

Having done that, now bring all your ammo to the range and SHOOT! No more ejection issues, and ENJOY the hobby :cheers:

Ahoy BoyG,

I've about come to the same conclusion. Way back when I started this debacle I bought the gun supposedly running 100%. NOT! I couldn't do to someone what that bastard did to me. I just don't want to throw another $400 at a plastic gun. The fact that another gun club buddy has the identical setup and a lowered port and 14# spring cured the same issue in his gun led me to believe it was curable on mine. I'm gonna wind up trading it to a young Glock Jock that's been doing some work on it and is aware of the issue. I gotta admit tho that when the Glock ran 100% on a couple stages it was like having a new slutty girlfriend. LOTSA FUN! :cheers:

My thanks to all who opined on my dilema. Not all stories are Disney.

Ron

TY63917

DeFacto Florida State Revolver Champion

Edited by buckaroo45