Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First Range Session for 7 Year Old Girl

A female friend's 7 year old daughter, who has never shown an interest in guns before, has asked to be taken shooting and taught how to shoot "just like mom". Sadly my friend lives in another state so I can't be there to help first person :( but she did ask me via email what sort of gun I would recommend for her daughter's first shooting experience. My friend does have, and was thinking of starting her out on, a Glock 17 Airsoft but I think the grip would be way too big for a 7 year old girl. She does have very small hands. Actually of all the real guns my friend has on hand, the one that suggests itself to me as far as having a possibly child appropriate grip would be her Colt Woodsman. The problem there, of course, is that, being a rimfire, she can't dry fire it.

Any thoughts and suggestions? Anyone out there ever been in a similar situation, and if so, how did you solve it?

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to provide.

FWIW I use 22LR snap caps all the time in my buckmark. They run great for dry fire. They don't hold up well, so, after a couple of times, you need to change them. I think it's great that the 7YO wants to shoot like Mommy. Great role model here. Link: http://www.azoomsnapcaps.com/home/

Is she set on a pistol? If not, I think a lightweight 22 rifle would be the way to go. I'd go M&P-15/22 or 10/22, but anything would work. Assuming they're in a free state, the M&P15/22 with collapsible stock would let you adjust the fit as she grows.

A Stevens Marksman/Crackshot or a Cricket are both good starting rifles. A real positive on the cricket is that it will take an adult to cock it.. Another plus is that both are light weight, so young arms can hold them up with little extra help. Personally, no optics until the new shooter is comfortable with the fundamentals.