Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chokes for Spreader shells

You guys that are running the spreader shotshells in your guns, what chokes have you found work best. I picked up a case to try out and am curious as to what everyone else is using. I have an Improved Cylinder and a Modified Improved choke for my gun, and will try both of them out to see what I get. Any other options available?

Thanks,

CS#158

I've spent quite a bit of time on the pattern board going over these loads and chokes for sporting clays targets. The gun used was a Benelli M1 with a 21" barrel using extended chokes.

With my gun the diffusion and skeet chokes were needed to see a difference on paper with spreaders. No difference on paper could be established with light mod or mod chokes. Actually shooting clay targets I could never establish the difference, both spreader and standard loads broke the targets.

I've been shooting with a ported and extended light mod choke and it seems to break the targets better than a non-ported choke. The theory behind this is the ported choke slows the wad down enough that the shot string separates faster which shortens the shot string. You end up with more pellets contacting the target at once putting more energy into the target. Targets that previously cracked apart are now vaporizing into black smoke.

For you guys shooting metal targets I would think the short shot string would benefit because you'll put more energy into the target. Poor hits would have a better chance to knock the target down. If nothing else it will help extend the effective range of the shotgun.

you guys should listen to benny!!!!! he was getting 36" spread at 10 yds, in mississippi, 48" at 15 yds. of course this was after the home brew.

all kidding, aside, i talked kurt miller into letting me have 7 of the kent brand, and seven fiocchi, they both gave close to 30" at 20yds, with the pattern well saturated with pellets. trapr

you guys should listen to benny!!!!! he was getting 36" spread at 10 yds, in mississippi, 48" at 15 yds. of course this was after the home brew.

all kidding, aside, i talked kurt miller into letting me have 7 of the kent brand, and seven fiocchi, they both gave close to 30" at 20yds, with the pattern well saturated with pellets. trapr

Since I have no concept of the targets shot in 3-gun matches please clue me in as to why you want or need such a spread pattern at close range.

Our targets are usually steel plates and poppers which take improved to mod chokes to consentrate enough pellets to knock them down. :huh: BUT sometimes on the same stage (course) are static or thrown clay pidgeons and we would like some shot dispersion out of our steel chokes.

bp

CS - Order a Diffusion choke from Briley. Opens the pattern up more than skeet.

Double Down - At close range, the larger the pattern, the larger the margin for error. With spreader loads having 8's or 9's for shot, the density is there and as Furbee will emphasize at SMM3G, "You only need one BB to score". While it sounds a little extreme, at this year's SMM3G there were a lot of misses on clay birds at 10 feet 'cause folks were running standard target loads and an IC choke. The folks with spreaders in a skeet/cylinder/diffusion chokes were rockin' a lot of the shotgun stages.

Rich

chandlersniper, they are the same ......buy away. i believe the benefit of the spreaders is that you can use a tighter choke for more reliable popper and plate knockin' over, but still get a wide pattern for clays.

kurtm, has a lt. mod. choke for everything, and it allows cyl choke like patterns with spreaders. hope this clears up the use of spreaders for you. trapr