Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting without sights?

Glockdirtyfour

Its a cool book. Lots of pics and explanations. It makes me wish they had better recording equipment back in the day. I would love to see a video of one of his shows.

The guy was hitting. 15 splits and shooting 6 shot groups you could cover with your hand in 1919. With a stock revolver.

He stated there is no trick to trick shooting. Just lots of practice.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...Seeing is continuous. Think of your eye as a surveillance camera that captures everything.

It's your mind that shuts down,not your vision. It believes that it cannot see so fast.

Experiment with where your attention goes.

I want to call my shot before the hole appears in the target. I want to KNOW where the bullet is going to hit. I can know this as I am shooting...and not have to wait for the hole to give me that information...

You will be much farther ahead to take Flex's advice and build your index and call your shots in this game...

I absolutely agree that I should call my shots. It's a skill I'm still working on, and I'm following some advice that fourtax posted on the forums. My point: while I'm trying to call my shot before ignition, after ignition I become aware of the bullet holes, like it or not. Type 2 focus is important but I'm wondering if I should go back to a stick front sight focus, if I think I should focus on fundamentals for now.

I have no reason to look at the target for bullets holes. If I find that I am, I have failed (to execute something more fundamental).

Further, if you are in the habit of looking for the holes, you will not be following through on your sights. Your vision will be pre-maturely shifted out to the target. You will be looking to see what happened, instead of already KNOWING what was going to happen. Plus, what happened won't be as well executed, because the focus/execution was in the wrong place or shifting at the wrong time.

You will probably end up losing a lot of headway while you are 'still working on the skill of calling your shots' ... you don't call them with a target focus.

Yes, lose that Type 2 thinking. It's a crutch for you if you aren't calling. Get on the sights. Call the shot, THEN snap your eyes to find the next target...get back on the sights.

Even better, calling the shot by reading the gun is faster. It is faster because you KNOW sooner.

Also - no amount of looking at the target for holes will help you if you're shooting at small steel suspended in the air with a distant backstop.

Incorporate small targets into your drills if you need to break yourself of the habit.

Also - no amount of looking at the target for holes will help you if you're shooting at small steel suspended in the air with a distant backstop.

The pure test of shot calling!

I catch myself standing flat footed on lollipops sometimes, or doing the "popper shuffle" when I have no choice but to leave a position on steel...

Need moar shot calling!