Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

:ee Perfect Powder Measure

You have to adjust the drum so that it is as tight as possible while it can still move easily. If it is new, make sure it is lubed with graphite, either powdered graphite or a pound of powder run through it. Then some trial and error in drum adjustments. Mine runs fine with H335 now, but when I first got it, it was either too tight or too loose and I would find those little balls of powder lying on the base when I was sure I didn't spill any. I cut out a paper plate to catch the spilled powder and found that I was dropping only a dozen or so after 100 cases. After a couple of adjustments, I have no more powder lost and very smooth operation with very accurate and consistent drops.

Perfect out of the box? No.

Perfectly adequate at a great price? Yes

You have to adjust the drum so that it is as tight as possible while it can still move easily. If it is new, make sure it is lubed with graphite, either powdered graphite or a pound of powder run through it. Then some trial and error in drum adjustments. Mine runs fine with H335 now, but when I first got it, it was either too tight or too loose and I would find those little balls of powder lying on the base when I was sure I didn't spill any. I cut out a paper plate to catch the spilled powder and found that I was dropping only a dozen or so after 100 cases. After a couple of adjustments, I have no more powder lost and very smooth operation with very accurate and consistent drops.

Perfect out of the box? No.

Perfectly adequate at a great price? Yes

Thanks for the idea.

Joe

The Perfect Powder Measure is for those who can read instructions and follow them.

When new, you need to feed a hopper of graphitized powder (or simply graphite powder) through the measure. The measure works by having two conical sections rub against each other. As time passes, these sections rub together enough to really seal.

You can adjust the tension between the two conical sections, but DON'T adjust with powder leaking (all you will do is jam powder into the sections and the sections will not rub properly and you will get more leaking and an even worse fit of the two sections.

Lee says to put a piece of paper below to catch any leaking powder.

Simply keep using the measure if it leaks. When done, or there is a convenient spot to stop, empty the hopper, disassemble the measure, clean it all out, and put it together with more tension. Keep this up, and you will reach a point where the sections seal so well that you will have almost no leakage with even the finest of powders.

• 2 weeks later...

Great advice here, just wanted to add I currently am using this powder measure to load all of my handgun rounds until I save up a few more bucks but thats another story.

Anyway this thing has metered extremely accurate for me, as far as pistol powders i've only ran power pistol, wst, 7625, and N320 through it and my consistency is +/- .0 gr

I'm sure it does vary some on the hundredths of a grain but if i'm loading 4.0 I can test anyone of them and they all read dead on 4.0. It doesn't seem to measure the rifle powder nearly as consistently but for the price I love this thing, and to be honest I hated it at first.

The only advice I can give to get it to be consistent is, be extremely consistent in the way you use the lever, like if you bang the lever a little on the upstroke just make sure you do it exactly the same every time and you should get good results.

If you wish to stay with Lee products, I would give the Pro Auto Disk a try, I had one with a Classic Turret and Looved it! It is more consistent with less effort than the Perfect Measure. I had similar issues with my Perfect Measure and gave it away when I got the Turret kit

Edited by dnmccoy

• 1 month later...

Has anyone else experienced ball powder leaking from the Measure?

If so any solutions?

Joe

Yep , Works fine with flake or extruded powder .

I bought the Lee disk powder measure because I was loading ball powder in .223 & the PPM leaked to the point that it was un-useable .

I have since read that the " cone " of the PPM can be lapped to the body of the measure , with a mild abrasive & help or cure the problem . Have not tried it yet .

God bless

Wyr

• 2 years later...