Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buffer and bolt carrier to reduce recoil ?

Puma

I am a newbee when it comes to AR-15's but eager to learn. I recently purchased a DPMS Panther 3 G. I would like to know if the buffer and bolt carriers play an important role in reduction of recoil and if so which you would recommend not only to reduce recoil but also to possibly enhance performance ( Quicker cycling etc. ). I have already purchased a Battle compensator. Any other recommended improvements that can be made to this rifle would also be appreciated.

"Quicker cycling" is a mis-nomer. The gun already cycles faster than humans can press the trigger. "Cycles smoothly enough that the shooter can get back on target and fire an acceptably-accurate shot" may be a better desire.

Light bolt carriers and buffers are nice because it reduces the cycling mass of the gun. At the end of the rearward stroke of the action, everything must come to a stop. In a typical AR, this happens when the recoil spring compresses fully. When this happens, you feel at "bump" at the end of that stroke. With a good compensator, that "bump" is really all that you feel.

With lightened components, you have less mass crashing to a stop at the end of the stroke. Chalk one up for the good guys.

If the gun has an adjustable gas system that is tuned well, that even takes the crash out of the stroke. Mine is set up where the gas system will BARELY kick the bolt back far enough to engage the bolt stop.

My Nordic .22LR practice gun kicks harder....

"Quicker cycling" is a mis-nomer. The gun already cycles faster than humans can press the trigger. "Cycles smoothly enough that the shooter can get back on target and fire an acceptably-accurate shot" may be a better desire.

Light bolt carriers and buffers are nice because it reduces the cycling mass of the gun. At the end of the rearward stroke of the action, everything must come to a stop. In a typical AR, this happens when the recoil spring compresses fully. When this happens, you feel at "bump" at the end of that stroke. With a good compensator, that "bump" is really all that you feel.

With lightened components, you have less mass crashing to a stop at the end of the stroke. Chalk one up for the good guys.

If the gun has an adjustable gas system that is tuned well, that even takes the crash out of the stroke. Mine is set up where the gas system will BARELY kick the bolt back far enough to engage the bolt stop.

My Nordic .22LR practice gun kicks harder....

.....................................:surprise: and you are using what type and bolt group and gas block? :surprise:

Actually I believe Braxton is 1/2 right. You do feel some recoil from the rifle when the cartridge goes off and there is a small degree if sight disruption when the bolt comes back and stops, but the spring is absorbing most of that energy, no matter what the bolt carrier weighs. Its the return stroke where the carrier slams to a stop that the light carrier eliminates a good deal of movement. Now this observation is with a rifle gas system, and the shorter gas systems are another matter. But I digress.

I have found a JP LMOS carrier with adjustable gas block and a 4 oz buffer with the surefire mb556k comp shoots pretty flat in my 20" bbl game gun.

If you are mechanicaly inclined experiment with buffer weights. I have found that somewhere between the lightest and heviest you can tune the system to shoot its best by trying all differant weights. But it takes some work. And every bbl/ ammo combo has its likes and disslikes. When you find what works the best for you, stick with it and shoot the heck out of it.......the tinkering is fun but practice is the real secret to getting the most out of your rifle.

Actually I believe Braxton is 1/2 right.

Thanks! Actually, I am trying to work on my brevity. I have been accused of being a bit long-winded in my posts...looks like I picked the wrong post to whittle down. :rolleyes:

My game gun is a 18-inch full stock AR with JP's LMOS carrier and buffer, stock recoil spring, and a JP Adjustable Gas Block. I have it tuned so close-to-the-edge that it barely reaches bolt lock because I use the same factory ammo all the time in this gun, so that removes a variable that would otherwise terrify me.

Im glad you did not feel I was picking on you, as I was not. Your post was good and sometimes what I mean to say may not come across as polished as others.

Oh, I would recomend you open up your gas adjustment a 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Having it that close to the edge will sooner or later bite you.