Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

4.5 to 5.25 XDm... is this possible?

Justsomeguy

I have both a 4.5 inch and a 5.25 inch in .40 S&W.

I have swapped the uppers,racked the slides and tried the triggers. Everything seemed to work fine. It's been cold here and I have not fired the guns in that configuration as yet. I don't anticipate any problems.

It appears to me that the lowers are identical, at least dimensionally identical.

FWIW!!!

Bill

Since I already have an XDm in the 4.5 version that has mods on it, I wonder if the frame is the same as the new 5.25 version and whether the uppers could interchange? Do any of you super tuners have an idea about this?

As long as the mods are only on the frame and you know how to do the safety checks. I wouldn't suggest doing it on one that we have done, as we make sure the upper and lower parts match properly unless you swap the upper internals also and know how to do safety and function checks, as these guns do have some variance in them.

Thanks guys...

I thought they would be the same. Now if only Springfield would offer a "Competition kit" upper for the 4.5" models I could save some money! Like that will happen!

And Hi Scott... you have worked on several of my XD's in the past, and I have several of your trigger kits in others as well. I understand there are manufacturing tolerances which would have to be taken into account, but like 1911 uppers, I would think that the new longer uppers could be made to fit without too many problems (the safety lever and striker/sear relationship comes to mind) given the frames are the same. In my particular case, my 4.5" model has a Springfield Custom Shop trigger job, which is actually pretty good, but done before I knew of your own expertise. If Springfield is reluctant, this seems like an opportunity for aftermarket manufacturers, but I don't know how many XDm's are already out there in the shorter configuration so the cost of such a thing may be prohibitive. In any case, people like you (Springer) would most likely find yourself with added business fitting such an upper should it become available.

Now if I can convince my wife that I need a new Competition model to do some testing with... just for scientific purposes you understand!

Oh... and if ummmm... any of you find yourself with a 5.25 upper you don't want I would love to hear about it.

Edited by Justsomeguy

The frames are the same and if no work is done, swapping is fine, but you want to do the safety checks because it is prudent. We've replace a lot of trigger jobs done in way that just swapping uppers wouldn't work.

When it is feasible to do so, I'm sure slide assemblies will be available from aftermarket vendors, but these things take some time.

Edited by Loves2Shoot

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, shot a match 2 weekends ago with a fella who did this. His 4.5 frame already had the trigger job and grip tape so he just popped the 5.25 slide on top. Only thing is the numbers don't match, don't know if that would ever matter though.

I have a buddy who put a new 9mm 5.25 slide on a .40 frame that had trigger work done...he said it works fine

I have a 4.5 with a sweet CC trigger and just got a 5.25, but since 2 expert gunsmiths on here recommend against it....off it went to CC

my 4.5 is now a very competent back-up

Edited by waynes_world_45