Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Living in snake-country

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I grew up in WV we have black snakes, copper heads, what are called Water coppers, grass snakes corn snakes (look much like copper heads) and a very rare timber rattler.

I personally dispise snakes they just tive me the creaps, i carry the second round in my carry gun as shot shell. and have used quite a lot. basic rules for snakes are.

1. Always watch where you are going.

2. Never put your hands or feet where you can't see.

3. wear boots that come above your ankle.

4. Carry a walking stick, shovel or gun with you.

i will kill any snake i see unless my life is completely in danger.. aka stalking while doing sniper training. etc... and i have a knife.

A long time ago we used to have "jungle walks" during IPSC matches. One time they put a snake target next to a tree that would be used for cover. I hate snakes. I had 5 rds. off before I could stop myself.

Another time I was out hunting ground squirrels in Oregon with some friends. We had split up, the two friends went one way and I, my step-son and a friends dog went another. I was wearing ear protection so I couldn't hear very well. I happened to look down and saw that I was about to step on a rattle snake. The hunt was a pre-30s type hunt in that the guns had to be made prior to 1930. I was using a 1928 Thompson and a 1911 pistol. I hate snakes. As I was jumping back I emptied the Thompson (it was down to only about 10 or so rds.), then drew and emptied the .45. We counted 7 bullet holes in the snake.

When the fired was all over one of the friends turned to the other said that he wondered what that was all about. The other friend knew me well and said "Dennis saw a snake."

We really were hunting ground squirrels. But it was a blast shooting short bursts and trying to hit anything beyond 25 yards. Most of the time the squirrels were beyond 100 yards and sometimes I shot looong bursts, thus causing much confusion on the part of the poor ground squirrel--he didn't know which way to run :P. The snake didn't have a chance.