Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

As andy rooney would ask, "don't you wonder...".

i find it humorous to go to multi gun matches and hear people talk about having to check their zero cause their rifle might have been bumped during transportation. also, between our three weapons, we might have $6-$8K tired up in them. then, when abandoning weapons, i have seen these very expensive weapon systems chucked violently into barrels.

just sayin'

cause their rifle might have been bumped during transportation

Not sure what kind of abuse luggage takes these days but the 1971 American Tourister Commercial comes to mind.

I do find it funny how particular people are about their guns until dump time.

David E.

Edited by Nuke8401

It's not just the travel.. but it is reassuring to know. if you just cleaned everything, to get a few shots out of each gun, to make sure it's still functioning 100%, or added some small part that should have been innocuous.

That you didn't put the cotter in the BCG on the wrong side of the firing pin, or that last minute tweak you did to the heat sink didn't throw off the barrel one foot to the left

it's not so much to "Check Zero" after a long road trip, as it is to Check Zero at the altitude I'm going to be shooting this weekend.

From the SoCal high desert to Raton NM is just a few feet differance.

I'd like to verify that before the timer goes off.

It's not just the travel.. but it is reassuring to know. if you just cleaned everything, to get a few shots out of each gun, to make sure it's still functioning 100%, or added some small part that should have been innocuous.

That you didn't put the cotter in the BCG on the wrong side of the firing pin, or that last minute tweak you did to the heat sink didn't throw off the barrel one foot to the left

The way around that is not make last minute changes to your gear B) . Do thurough testing in advance and you'll have no worries on match day.

The way around that is not make last minute changes to your gear B) . Do through testing in advance and you'll have no worries on match day.

Sometimes that's just not possible

ETA - I've only had 1 equipment issue at a match (from a change).. and it was a club level match.. maybe 5 years ago.

A more recent example.. going to a match this August, the week before, I went to the range to check zeros, check equipment, my extractor broke 1st shot on the rifle.. I replaced the whole bolt that evening, could not get out before the match on Saturday.. odds are it would be fine, but it would have been reassuring to fire it first.. there were no issues, but I was wondering about it walking to the line

Edited by D.Hayden