Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SCAR 16/17 Optics & Mount?

crabby

Purchased a FN SCAR 16 & 17. Some mounts (hardware) protrude out to the left and one can really bust his knuckles on the bolt handle ... when loading a round. On the SCAR 16, I have the TRIJICON ACCUPOINT TR-20 and the TRIJICON QUICK RELEASE SCOPE MOUNT TR-124. This mount allows me to turn it around and put the hardware on the opposite side (does not interfere with the bolt handle at all). I really like this set up but would like something different on the SCAR 17.

Any recommendations as to SCOPE or any type of OPTICS (prefer some amount of magnification) and most importantly ... a MOUNT that won't bust my knuckles up?

Thanks!

Since the SCAR has a full length top rail, use any of your favorite QM mounts and put the locking levers on the right instead of the left. Is it backwards??? Yes, but unless you buy a +20MOA mount, it won't matter.

All good stuff! Does anyone have a preferred scope (other than Trijicon Accupoint) that has some type of illumination? I have another TR-124 mount (30mm tube). I bought it first and then realized I needed the 1 inch tube. So if I could find something else I liked ... and it had a 30mm tube ... I would be all set! :)

Would running a downward-angled charging handle be acceptable?

Tango Down makes one with a very slight angle that works for some mounts but not wide-ass Eotechs. It might be enough for your needs.

Those definitely help ... but the downward angle is not as much as you might think. But yes, that helps. Hoping someone comes out with a handle that has a more pronounced angle.