Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Safe to de-prime live primers?

Brent D

For WHAT it's WORTH !

The way I buy a primers is about $ .03 cents.

If you buy once fired brass about $ .06 cents or less.

And risk damage to one of my presses or my ole tired body, no way.

Mountain saying here, "Don't do dumb sheitt".

Perry

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use a turret press and have done it a number of times for 9mm with FED SPPs. I just run the case through the full loading cycle and catch the live primers. No time wasted.

I've never shot my chrono either. :D:unsure:

I do it all the time, just be slow and gentle and all should be well

Was just re-reading my "Pistol Shoter's Treasury". An article by the Technical Staff Omark CCI says "Live primers may be safely decapped-merely observe common sense and safety precautions. Decap them with a slow even pressure. Primers that have been seated, then decapped, should not be reused."

But, they also say: "Never seat a primer in a loaded round. Occasionally, handloaders may notice a primer that was not fully seated initially and attempts (sic) to reseat it in the loaded round. THIS PRACTICE IS EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS"

Who hasn't given a primer an extra nudge?

The same article also endorses what is to me the Randy Lee trick; "rotate the cartridge 180 degrees and apply firm pressure (to assure bottoming of the primer). (i.e. a 2x tap on the primer during reloading) This seems somewhat contradictory.

All of the above is for information only. I do not endorse anyone depriming a live primer.........but, if you do....

Edited by underlug

But, they also say: "Never seat a primer in a loaded round. Occasionally, handloaders may notice a primer that was not fully seated initially and attempts (sic) to reseat it in the loaded round. THIS PRACTICE IS EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS"

Who hasn't given a primer an extra nudge?

The same article also endorses what is to me the Randy Lee trick; "rotate the cartridge 180 degrees and apply firm pressure (to assure bottoming of the primer). (i.e. a 2x tap on the primer during reloading) This seems somewhat contradictory.

Most revolver reloaders need to crush the primer to get reliable ignition so the best way is to crush it after it is loaded. It didn't seem safe to me when I did it but after hearing others who have done it thousands or millions of times without issues, I started doing it too. Again, like I said, primers are very tough and I have mangled/smashed/warped a lot of them without any of them going off. Not to say it can't happen, it's just a risk you take but use some common sense while doing it.

Thanks for sharing the info...

Edited by gng4life