Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OAL question? 200gr RNFP cast

Adam P.

Just picked up some 200gr RNFP Missouri Bullets to load up for my 1911. I'm using WST powder and have found plenty of data for 200gr bullets with this powder, but I'm not finding any for RNFP bullets. Anyone have any input on this? I thinking 1.20 to start out with and then play with it more as I work up the load. I'm starting with 4.2gr of WST. This may seem low according to some manuals, but this is the start load in my Lyman manual with 200gr bullets seated deaper (1.16) than my 1.20. Your thoughts?

Thanks

Edited by Adam P.

It's for 45 acp. I thought it was short also, but my Lyman manual shows 1.16 for OAL for a 200gr cast bullet (different profile) and my Lee manual says 1.19 is the minimum OAL for 200gr bullets. From my web searches and other forums; most folks are running this particular bullet at an OAL length of 1.195 to 1.22. I also thought it was very short, but maybe it's because of the bullet's profile. I'm not sure, but from what I have read about this bullet, folks seat to just below the grove which is 1.195. My start load is 4.2gr of WST (out of my Lyman manual), which is .4gr less than my other 3 manuals with 200gr bullets (cast SWC). As bad as I hate to say it, but this may be a learn as I go load since I'm not getting much info from folks that have use it. I'll be running them through my Para GI Expert. I have an IDPA match next Sunday, so I'm hoping to get some test loads ready to go to shoot after the match. I will report back the results, but would still hope to get more info prior to loading up a bunch.

Thanks

Hello Adam:

I have loaded this bullet. I also can say my two 45's require different cartridge lengths. My XD needed 1.200 or less, my SIG 20-30 thousandths longer would work. Take a dummy round and see if it goes in your clean barrel as deep as a factory round and it should also fall out of barrel too. There are lots of threads on COAL with pictures. The flat point on the bullet brings the ogive closer to the tip so shorter cartidge length results.

gordonm1

I load the 200 grain .45 LRNFP to 1.185" so that I can roll crimp right at the crimp groove (this is for revo). Since it's really a slightly rolled taper crimp, it will also work in 1911's. I run 5.1 grains of Titegroup for about 170 PF. RNFP's have less barrel bearing surface than SWC's of the same weight (therefore less bullet length), so the RNFP OAL is less and it takes more powder to reach a given velocity because of the lower bearing surface.

Buck

Edited by haggis

I shoot this same bullet. I use 4.0 to 4.2 grains of clays with an OAL of 1.190. Feeds in everything reliabily and I prefer the snappier action in my single stack. The taper crimp is just above the crimp groove with a crimp diameter of .470 to .471 inches, measured with a micrometer. Hopes this helps.