Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Establishing grip from an IWB Draw

KungFuNerd

In attempt to 'use what I carry'"...I am developing my technique using an IWB Holster (Glock 17) at about 4:00.

I set up three targets next to each other, draw and fire 1 or 2 on each.

Sometimes left to right, right to left, center left right etc.

My first shot tends to hit Left unless I add 1/4 to 1/2 sec or so of fudging around to center my front sight.

I think what is happening is my grip isn't deep enough on the draw causing me to point left naturally then compensate to the right and shoot.

Some of it may also be caused by having to draw from behind the hip.

Shots on the following targets were then consistently On as my sight alignment was corrected.

Starting from Low ready my first shot is OK.

Losing a little weight will help me to really dig my thumb down behind the grip before the draw :)

Any other tips?

HERE IS MY MAIN QUESTION

Would I be better off getting good with a standard 3:00 holster to get my basics solid?

Or should I stick with my IWB?

I don't aspire to be a high level competitor ("Gamer") but I do want to be GOOD.

Thanks

First, I do not shoot IDPA but I am a law enforcement officer.

With that said, If you want to improve for your carry on and off duty with how you tend to carry then stick with your current carry style. But, this is also a time that you may find a better way to carry than your current way. Meaning, you will get to try other ways of carry and how does that affect your draw and so on. Will it be comfortable to carry a certain way for long periods of time etc...

Look at the mechanics of the draw from each style, how smooth is it. Does it cause you to to much to get to your firearm? and so on.

Like you stated in your post, "I don't aspire to be a high level competitor ("Gamer") but I do want to be GOOD." No one just wants to be good. Aspire to be the best and keep working at it. You will be faster with the holster at the three oclock because it offers the path of least resistance, its closer and in a more natural mechanics of a draw.

As long as you train for how you carry there is nothing wrong with little changes for competition settings. Take a little time to look and watch others and how they perform with various holsters and video tape your training sessions to see what you can improve and so on.

Best of luck,

Steve :cheers:

Which holster do you use? Is it possible to get a full firing grip right out of the holster? If not, seek a better holster.

As for sight alignment after the draw, it sounds like you may need to work on your presentation from the IWB. Other than the slight amount of extra time to reach further back, the presentation should be the same as any other holster once the gun is drawn. Move both hands at the same time, one to the gun and one centered at the belly, get a full grip, draw and move gun to center of body about nipple high while adding the weak hand to the grip, push to target while acquiring sights.

You may be swinging out to the side a bit due to the position of the IWB causing a swinging presentation, like a right hook, instead of a straight push. This can cause you to swing past the first target to the left due to momentum if you are right handed.

The problem with a good concealment holster....no space between the grip and my back.

I do seriously think that if I lost 10lbs I could more reliably get my thumb seated on the draw.

I've got a Holster similar to a Minotaur.

Forward Cant and riding Low.

3:00 Belt Holster feels like cheating!

Much more fun to practice but I could never carry that way.

I do often carry in a Bag

When I grip at the Holster I tend to get my Fingers and Palm in position but the Thumb doesn't get set until the draw is happening.

I'm pretty sure this is creating a bad technique foundation.

I am being careful not to swing wide on the draw.

On the Push out...

When it goes wrong, my front sight is behind the left rear sight.

I end up with low ish -3 from 15 yards. -0 on the next target.

So yes, I'm doing a combination of adjusting my grip and my wrist angle (both bad!)

Thanks for helping

So the thumb position thing...

If I am very upright it is hard to get a good solid deep grip in the holster.

With an aggressive stance it creates a gap and makes it easier.

I am also finding that if I run my thumb right against my waist it will go behind the Leather backing of the holster and land in perfect position WHILE helping to clear my untucked shirt.

NICE.

Works WAY better than clearing the shirt and reaching straight down for the draw grip.

Note that this is with a Glock...no safety no hammer.

Haven't tried that with a 1911 but me gun at a time....

So that alleviates one issue.

Now I need to do a few thousand reps of Draw and snap the gun to my side as if it just came out of a 3:00 belt holster.

Then the rest is normal.

Talking it through always helps somehow.

Sounds like you're figuring out on your own what first came to my mind seeing this...: think you need to be able to get your thumb into position as you grip and before you draw, instead of after.

I wouldn't get too caught up in the nonsense that shooting matches using slightly different gear makes one into a "gamer" and ruins any training value. There will always be someone out there who will feel that guys who shoot matches are not keeping things tacti-cool enough, and they will always out mall-ninja us when they go out and run 100rds through their H&K with super-awesome tritium-fiber-optic-orange-painted ninja operator sights (or whatever other pistol and modification is considered coolest on m4carbine or those type of sites/places), of course only drawing from some IWB that fits their pistol with it's light/laser combo that's mounted 24/7... not calling shots, not really seeing their sights, learning from better shooters, etc. because matches are below them...

I EDC in the AIWB position and that doesn't fly for matches due to rules, but any match shooting or practice I do still benefits me when I do some work from AIWB, the timer tells me so. For matches I usually run OWB at 3 o'clock just for all-day comfort reasons as I SO and help set-up/break down, etc., but, I shoot my EDC gun at least 1 match out of every 3 or so I make, and from IWB my times/scores are never much different.

FWIW, if you really are sold on keeping things exactly the same for comp and carry then IMO a straight-drop IWB is a good "happy medium" compromise, and with a smaller footprint holster (like a Blade-Tech Nano or something) a G17 can be hidden and still work well there.

The only holster I own is a Blade-Tech Phantom (from Blade-Tech's "economy" line) and I can get a full firing grip with it when worn behind my hip. If you can't get a proper grip while the pistol is in the holster then change the holster. Also, losing weight will help; if not with your draw then with so many other things, so you'd might as well do it!

If I do Enough reps maybe I'll wear a thumb groove in my back :)

I have a Galco Summer comfort holster on order to use with a Glock 26. We'll see.

With my Fullsized guns worn under a T Shirt they have to ride really tight.

I am convinced now that just a simple aggressive posture lets my get my thumb established well.

Practice practice practice......just want to be sure I'm not practicing something WRONG!

• 2 weeks later...

First thing..... "Galco Summer Comfort" isn't comfortable. Too thick, thick loops....sent it back and got a smaller www.shieldedholsters.com for my G26

OK, something I discovered that might help some one else:

Practicing today I got the alignment problem and I KNEW my grip was good on the draw.

I froze and looked at my structure....

My Right Shoulder was High.

I just dropped my shoulder down and the sights fell STRAIGHT into Alignment.

Hah