Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

range finders

chainsaw

anyone got a favorite? am looking for a one that won't break the bank but that actually WORKS. read a lotta bad reviews on some of em. out to 500 yds is ok, 1000 better. tired a sightening in mine/kids/others rifles in the boonnies and guestimating. thanks

I have a Bushnell with ARC really only use it for Bow hunting. Just to makesure, 1 to 3 yards mistake at distance make a big difference where the arrow hits. Have'nt had any problems with it, checked it seems to be right at the range.

When you set your target - count paces. Convert your gait into yards. It's cheaper and accurate enough.

Range finders are useful but I'm too cheap to buy one for personal use. I really need to get one of those and a timer. :lol:

Edited by DyNo!

I've got the Bushnell Elite 1600 ARC and it's well worth the money. It's very sturdy and the batter last a good long time. It takes CR123 batteries so it's nothing out of the ordinary. The illuminated display is a little bit of a let down in bright sunlight but it's nice in lower light. I got mine from Amazon. I've had it out to 750 yards. It really helps if you're using steel to range on and/or if you have a rest or mono pod to hold the range finder steady on.

http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Elite-1600-Laser-Rangefinder/dp/B004I8X2G4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1319605240&sr=8-2

Prior to this one I had the Bushnell Legend 1200 ARC which was pretty good but the range was not as good on small targets. You were limited to about 400 yards. It worked best of you ranged from the target back to your car or some other large object.

http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Legend-Rifle-Modes-Rangefinder/dp/B001SO3D06/ref=sr_1_12?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1319605433&sr=1-12

I went through the list of options earlier this year and settled on a Bushnell Scout 1000 I must admit that I found one on sale, which helped me choose, because otherwise it might have been too expensive for me. You probably don't need something that will do the kind of range this will, so you can probably find something cheaper. Just be aware that all laser rangefinders need some kind of solid target to reflect off of.

I'm not sure what kind of distance you are thinking about, but you may be able to find a golf range finder cheaper that would work for you. A lot of the newer shooting range finders include angle compensation (like the ARC) which adds to the cost.