Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OAL for 2 different guns

JoseyWalesX

I am just getting into reloading and USPSA shooting. A friend and I are both going to use my 550 for reloading 9mm minor rounds. I am shooting an M&P Pro and he has an XDm. Is there an optimal OAL that I can use for both guns or will I need to readjust the die for each gun? I read somewhere that the XD requires a shorter OAL than the Pro.

I am using 3.1gr. of VV320, 147gr. Precision bullets, and currently loading to 1.11 OAL.

Also, I am getting a 131pf with this load through my M&P is this a good load to stay at, I don't want to have to worry about not making minor if i shoot a major match.

I would add another tenth of powder. I like about 133-134 pf in my minor loads.

As for loading for both guns. Try dropping the loads you are currently making into the barrel of the other gun. Take the gun apart and drop them into the upturned barrel. You want NO contact with the lands. Drop several and if even one touches anything they should be shorter.

Edited by Kevin Sanders

I think 1.110 is short for both guns. My XDM comfortably takes 1.150. I think you should figure out the max OAL for each barrel and load long,,,but not too long. I get the best accuracy out of my XDM loading long. Every gun is different. You don't want the bullet to hit the grooves. You will need to experiment. Good luck. Winchester whitebox averages 1.155.

Edited by Red Ryder

I think 1.110 is short for both guns. My XDM comfortably takes 1.150. I think you should figure out the max OAL for each barrel and load long,,,but not too long. I get the best accuracy out of my XDM loading long. Every gun is different. You don't want the bullet to hit the grooves. You will need to experiment. Good luck. Winchester whitebox averages 1.155.

My initial loads for my Pro were 1.13 but they wouldn't work in the XD. I will try a 1.12 and see how it functions in the XD. Will lengthening the OAL by .01 drastically slow down my rounds?