Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Making Major with 300BLK?!?

DocMedic

Match results: http://www.uspsa.org/uspsa-display-match-results-detail.php?indx=3130

Looks like only the pistol PF is shown. I heard Sweeney went to Open for an extra round in the SG tube, not PF issues.

Nope just a rumor. It was minor PF on the rifle. I talked to stats to make sure I wasn't spreading rumors on this. Three on the AMU, Payne, Halsey and Sweeney all went minor with the rifle (makes sense since they were all shooting the same ammo and load). Horner was shooting 300BLK and made major.

The difference with Major scoring was about 2%, actually a little less. Figure the added speed Horner would have had shooting minor rifle and he probably comes out in the hole shooting major rifle. Except of course for the 10K that he won for shooting that caliber.

Thanks for the info Chuck.

Sorry I (accidentally) contributed to the misinformation. Seems likely that my "source" (or his source) confused DH with another AMU competitor... they all look the same, right? :wacko:

Best,

ac

I'm glad to see this discussed here. I have been wondering if it actually mattered or not, or affected the outcome or not, that he was shooting the 300. A win is a win, from a marketing standpoint, but "won shooting 300 BLK making major AND it made the difference between first and second place" would be far more interesting. As it is it appears inconsequential that he was shooting the 300 BLK in terms of results.

Daniel does not get to trounce on everybody in IPSC rifle. Unlike in American 3 gun, he does not have a 10-15% cushion which makes whether he is shooting major or minor irrelevant. In fact, the Americans (including myself and Daniel) got trounced pretty well when we last faced the Europeans. In retrospect, I would have given almost anything to have been shooting a .30 Gremlin at the Euro rifle Championships. There is A LOT more paper in IPSC and those paper targets go out to 300 meters unlike in the U.S. where paper pretty much stops at 100 or even 50 yards and steel takes over.

Team America will have a real advantage if we have reliable major pf rifles with a reliable ammo resource when the World Shoot comes around.

That being said, I am adamantly opposed to having major/minor in outlaw 3 gun. The last thing this sport needs is making rifles shooting super expensive ammo a necessity.

• 2 months later...

Slightly off topic, does he have the hold overs written on the side of his rifle?

Sure looks that way. His magazine also seems to confirm 300 AAC Blackout. And, if the white numbers on the side of his gun mean anything, it also looks like he might have used 155 grain bullets.

Anyone know what weight bullet was used?

-I thought Major was obtainable with 175s, but not easily obtainable with other bullet weights? (just curious).

Edited by Carlos