Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking For Input

Tizzo

This is the last match of my first season shooting.

Second stage I had a double feed, after I cleared it and inserted a new mag, I lost where I was in my plan and how many mags I had on my belt. You'll see that I go to grab a mag off the ground when I have a full mag on my belt, ugh.

All input welcome, even critical.

Thanks

Two things jump out:

Too much moving while shooting. There's no need to creep forward when you have a ten round position, lock yourself down and burn through the targets then explode towards the next position while reloading. Shooting while moving has its place but is generally only desirable when the distance is sufficient to cause downtime or if it allows you to attack a target while entering or leaving.

Second, move your left hand faster during the reload. You're timing it off watching the mag drop, something I also did my first year. Don't watch the mag drop, instead when you begin the reload sequence do this:

1. Eyes to next position, explode out of position, hand goes as fast as possible to new mag, mag release sequence started

2. First step on the way, look down at magwell (confirming mag has dropped free,) establish good grip on mag, and race that sucker to the magwell as fast as you can.

3. Slow down a bit before you get to magwell, confirm mag is starting to enter properly

4. Eyes forward, find your desired destination for your foot, seat the mag, start to establish grip

5. Eyes up searching for first target (even if you have to do this through a wall, do it) present gun into vision, stop in position and engage.

Your left hand can go Fast-Slow-Fast-Slow. Fast to the mag, slow for a good grip, fast to the gun, slow for the initial insertion. Your eyes tell you where you're going, what you're doing, where you're stepping, and what you're shooting during each of these phases.

Two things jump out:

Too much moving while shooting. There's no need to creep forward when you have a ten round position, lock yourself down and burn through the targets then explode towards the next position while reloading. Shooting while moving has its place but is generally only desirable when the distance is sufficient to cause downtime or if it allows you to attack a target while entering or leaving.

Second, move your left hand faster during the reload. You're timing it off watching the mag drop, something I also did my first year. Don't watch the mag drop, instead when you begin the reload sequence do this:

1. Eyes to next position, explode out of position, hand goes as fast as possible to new mag, mag release sequence started

2. First step on the way, look down at magwell (confirming mag has dropped free,) establish good grip on mag, and race that sucker to the magwell as fast as you can.

3. Slow down a bit before you get to magwell, confirm mag is starting to enter properly

4. Eyes forward, find your desired destination for your foot, seat the mag, start to establish grip

5. Eyes up searching for first target (even if you have to do this through a wall, do it) present gun into vision, stop in position and engage.

Your left hand can go Fast-Slow-Fast-Slow. Fast to the mag, slow for a good grip, fast to the gun, slow for the initial insertion. Your eyes tell you where you're going, what you're doing, where you're stepping, and what you're shooting during each of these phases.

Thanks for the tips. I've been told that I didn't move enough before, that I was too static. I guess it depends heavily on the course?

Thanks for the tips. I've been told that I didn't move enough before, that I was too static. I guess it depends heavily on the course?

Definitely. Like Matt said, if there's no good reason to be moving - plant yourself and shoot. Usually the only time it worth sacrificing a good stable shooting postion is if you will be covering ground (that you will have to anyway) - and the shots are fairly easy - while you are shooting.

be

Two things jump out:

It does, and this is one of the classic "Feels fast but isn't" traps in the game. There's no hard and fast rule but I wouldn't shoot on the move unless I was sure of being able to split the gun normally and still get A/C and if it prevented a stop/start. If I'm going to move anyway before or after then I'll just plant and finish the array. Some situations where it made sense were long "hallways" with targets on each side, very close, or a port or window with a single close target that would cause a stop/start on the way to the next array.

• 1 month later...

I wanted to add a couple videos to this thread instead of creating a new one. The first has been posted before, but I wanted to post it here as well as it's from my second ever match from May this year. I wanted to see if anyone can pull out some bad habits I may have and maybe point out any additional things I should be working to improve.

Thanks

May

December

On the last array of three I make up an A hit with an A hit, so I'm not calling my shots just yet.

Here's what I saw in comparing the two videos:

1. Your footwork/movement improved a lot from May to December
  2. Your reloads look a little low - out of the target sight plane

Your stance seems more balanced and solid when you are shooting in December than when you were shooting in May and your movement is noticably more fluid.

You may have heard the suggestion of performing the reloading action higher so that targets are in your line of sight. I couldn't actually tell on the second video because the RO was obstructing the view. I like to think "chin" level for reloads. IOW don't drop the gun below the level of your chin.

Oh yeah - calling your shots. I'm working on that one too. :cheers:

• 1 month later...