Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

When the shot breaks...

R-Bros_JLR

The other evening I was shooting my new XDm 5.25 for the first time and was really working on front sight focus since that's been something I've struggled with lately. As the shot broke and the gun recoiled, my left eye took over and I suddenly got a visual of the side of the gun rather than the front sight until the gun came back on target. Once back on target my vision switched back to my right eye and focus went back to the front sight. Is this something that is fairly normal or something I need to work on to eliminate or lessen the effect of?

Thanks for any help.

As the shot broke , my left eye took over and I suddenly got a visual of the side of the gun rather than the front sight until the gun came back on target. Once back on target my vision switched back to my right eye and focus went back to the front sight. Thanks for any help.

Is it possible you're naturally left eye dominant? And you're

struggling to be right eye because you're right handed?

Jack

For me - I'm right eye dominate, but my left side can do exactly what you pointed out - its very evenly balanced and I can have the left eye take over if I'm not careful. One of the things I do is use a small piece of scotch tape on my left side where my normal sight alignment would be in my shooting stance. It doesn't affect my target transitioning, but helps keep my left eye from being able to "take over". I realized this when I was shooting a speed course and drew out and couldn't get the sights aligned immediately on a 7 yard target :surprise: Closed my left eye and the sight aligned immediately.

Double check your dominance, and it's fairly cheap to see whether a piece of tape can help - or hurt.

The other evening I was shooting my new XDm 5.25 for the first time and was really working on front sight focus since that's been something I've struggled with lately. As the shot broke and the gun recoiled, my left eye took over and I suddenly got a visual of the side of the gun rather than the front sight until the gun came back on target. Once back on target my vision switched back to my right eye and focus went back to the front sight. Is this something that is fairly normal or something I need to work on to eliminate or lessen the effect of?

Yes, definitely.

be