Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primers cracking - help

skip62

I don't really have enough info, but here is what I do have.

.45acp 185 LSWC 1.255 oal

Solo 1000 - 5.2grs WLP

ave velocity 894fps

I bought a Sig Scorpion a few weeks ago, cleaned it after about 800 rounds and noticed the breech face was starting to erode around the firing pin hole, obvious it was primer leaking. Looked at some of the primers and didn't see anything wrong, not flattened, no flow at firing pin indentation. Loaded up some more and went to the range, fired a few rounds checking the primers. I finally saw a black ring around the primer, yeah, now I've got something to look at. Fired a few more rounds to get more samples. I had also loaded up some 230 LRN's at 750fps, and ran 100 of them, with no problems. I went back through and carefully inspected the last 300 rounds fired in the gun. 3 kinds of brass, Winchester - no problems, Federal - a small percentage cracked, R-P - 1 in 10 cracked. I've seen primers leak in the old days shooting Super at 180pf, but this cracking. Any ideas?

oh yeah, I've shot 2300 of this load through my Kimber with the Winchester brass, and it has a couple of spots on the breech face, but not as bad as the Scorpion. So I would assume brass has something to do with it.

Just not sure what to blame. I'm thinking the Solo 1000 must have a high momentary spike, but just not confident that answer. So what do you all think?

Thanks

blownprimers1.jpg

I just punch the primers out and set them in cases for the photo.

Edited by skip62

I've never seen anything like this. I'll be real interested to hear what others think is causing the cracking.

Yeah, I've been loading pistols on and off for 30 years and hundreds of thousands of rounds, and haven't seem this.

It was 2 different boxes of a 1000, purchased at different times from different vendors, so I don't think they were the same lot.

Didn't notice anything different while loading, and I pay attention to the amount of pressure I use.

I've never seen that before. This is total speculation but I wonder if the metal used in the primer cup is more brittle and less ductile than it should be. Unless you get a good response here I would suggest you start by calling Winchester, explaining the problem, and giving them the lot number. You can also offer to send in your picture or give them a link to this thread.

I for one would really appreciate you keeping the thread updated as you work through this.

I've never seen that before. This is total speculation but I wonder if the metal used in the primer cup is more brittle and less ductile than it should be. Unless you get a good response here I would suggest you start by calling Winchester, explaining the problem, and giving them the lot number. You can also offer to send in your picture or give them a link to this thread.

I for one would really appreciate you keeping the thread updated as you work through this.

Yeah, I guess I should call Winchester.

I have some CCI primers I'm going to try with the same load and see if I see anything odd. I was thinking of changing powders, but that really probably won't tell me anything.

I'll keep y'll posted.

Yeah, I guess I should call Winchester.

I have some CCI primers I'm going to try with the same load and see if I see anything odd. I was thinking of changing powders, but that really probably won't tell me anything.

I'll keep y'll posted.

I recommend only making one change at a time. So changing to CCI primer would probably be the best place to start to determine the cause.

One change at a time was my intention, but I wasn't very clear.

I loaded 20 of

R-P brass

5.2 Solo 1000

185 SWC

CCI primers

Same everything but primers

I also loaded

R-P brass

4.5 N310

185 SWC

WLP primers

Hopefully this will be an equivalent load. I'm trying to hit the same velocity with a different powder.

I'll see what happens after work tomorrow.

I looked all over Winchesters site for contact info to send them and e-mail or call, but couldn't find anything. Anyone here have that info?

Thanks

Edited by skip62

Thanks you both, I'll call monday. looks like it's a primer problem. I shot and chrono'd the above loads after work.

R-P brass 5.2 Solo 1000 185 SWC 1.255 CCI primers Same everything but primers

chrono 930fps. 20 rounds - no cracks

I also loaded R-P brass 4.5 N310 185 SWC 1.255 WLP primers

chrono 905fps. 15 rounds and there it was, cracked primer, This load was a pretty close equivalent.

I'm gong to try N320 and see what that does, it should lower the pressure spike compared to Solo.

Any other suggestions?

No kidding, I did search the web, but apparently not very well....lol Thanks for the heads up.

I just back from shooting about 80 rounds with the CCI primers and no issues. I'll call Winchester Monday, see what they say.

In case anyone else has these primers, the lot number is DHL779G.

From the Ruger thread it looks like the combo of R-P brass makes it worse. I had problems with federal too, but probably half as much, and much less with Winchester brass.

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW I noticed a problem with split primers with 44mag and RP brass with WLP. My S&W 29-3 had some mild erosion bcause of it. I called Winchester and was told "Huh? Never heard of it. Why aren't you using Winchester brass?" I guess that solves the problem. :wacko:

I'm assuming the RP brass doesn't support the primer because of the chamfered primer hole and am switching to other brass. YMMV.