Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550B Oddity

ok, first off the press was purchased in 1986, so yes, i got my moneys worth.

anyway, over the past few weeks, about one out of every 50 or so pulls of the handle, my brass is getting jacked up in the resize stage. basically, the brass get's kinda smooshed on one side of the case, taking of a half moon chink of brass when it happens. seemed like the case was not getting centered as it went into the resizing die. i checked everything-the shell plate is tight, the little clip thin gee that hold the case into stage 1 is properly adjusted, the dies are clean.

then, i started thinking wtf would a case not go squarely up into the die. i slowed everything down and what i believe is happening is the entire main shaft, including the shell plate platform is rotating 3-4 degrees. i can grab the handle and twist it and watch the shell plate rotate...just enough that the case will not enter the die square. when i twist the handle, i also note the link arms wobble. maybe that's normal, but i never noticed it rotate.

short of sending the press in to dillon (it's so old they'd probably just laugh), anyone ever seen this? is there some kind of adjustment i can make to stop it from rotating?

here's a pic of what the brass looks like. also, a short video of the actual twisting and turning.

post-2786-0-00781600-1318364909_thumb.jp

It looks like the bowed washers installed between the crank and link arms are worn. A new crank and pivot pin is probably the best solution. Phone or email us, and include your address, and we'll mail a new crank and pivot pin.

short of sending the press in to dillon (it's so old they'd probably just laugh), anyone ever seen this? is there some kind of adjustment i can make to stop it from rotating?

Send it to Dillon. They will rebuild it for free. Make it look like new. Call them and they will explain the shipping. It's worth it I would think.