Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

longest o.a.l. for 40

tangiltows

wanting to get a head start loadind for my wife's gold team 40 cal that is about 10 days away. gun comes w/ 2 silver factory mags and 2 that look like the "new" k series from henning. what is the longest you have been able to load w/ 180 tc's? looks like a lot of folks go 1.2 but how long is too much? will also be trying 140 tc's as they are the same profile as the 180's. just want to give myself the greatest margin of safety using clays for major w/ the 180's . thinking of power pistol for major w/ the 140's as we have a butt load of both powders. what say ye. thanx, laura&vic

For details, see this thread: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=132872&view=findpost&p=1498966

But short answer:

Mecgar K40 will take up to 1.145".

Old style 10mm mags (and .40 with the spacer removed) with the red follower will go out to 1.225".

Are you using Clays, or Universal Clays? I'll have to dig in my logbook, but I've loaded Universal Clays, down at 1.135" without any overpressure signs and almost making major. I never pursued the short OAL though, because I have the old style 10mm mags and needed to load long to handle the feeding issues.

For details, see this thread: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=132872&view=findpost&p=1498966

But short answer:

Mecgar K40 will take up to 1.145".

Old style 10mm mags (and .40 with the spacer removed) with the red follower will go out to 1.225".

Are you using Clays, or Universal Clays? I'll have to dig in my logbook, but I've loaded Universal Clays, down at 1.135" without any overpressure signs and almost making major. I never pursued the short OAL though, because I have the old style 10mm mags and needed to load long to handle the feeding issues.

clays

Using Clays in major PF .40 is playing with fire, especially if you aren't using new brass.

i understand the hazards of clays, hence the question about o.a.l. most likely will go lighter bullet w/ more powder for more gas for the comp. one powder for both keeps the logistics trail shorter tho.

I would not use Clays in a 40 load with an OAL shorter than 1.225. If you want to run a shorter OAL then you will need to use a different powder, such as VV N320 or Solo 1000. Load at your own risk, but be warned that loading short OAL's with clays is dancing with the devil :devil:

I would not use Clays in a 40 load with an OAL shorter than 1.225. If you want to run a shorter OAL then you will need to use a different powder, such as VV N320 or Solo 1000. Load at your own risk, but be warned that loading short OAL's with clays is dancing with the devil :devil:

wonder why? clays is slower than solo 1000! vic

It's not just a matter of powder burn rate.

Different powders also react differently to pressure and temperature. It may take longer to consume the same amount of powder for burn rate tests, but one powder may produce more gas or heat initially compared to the other. Additionally, as pressure increases, temperature also increases. Powder that is slow at a particular temperature may burn faster at a different one.

When I working up a load of Silhouette, I was surprised by the graph of average velocities I was getting. I was hoping to use the powder for both steel loads and major loads. I happened on finding a range that went from climbing linearly to a plateau (maybe it was logarithmic and I just didn't have enough data points) and then there was a sudden jump up and looked linear again.

Edited by Skydiver