Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

gold team slide racker

tangiltows

why does'nt someone come up with a racker that can swap from rt handed to lft handed by pulling a pin out or something as opposed to driving the thing out to strip the gun for cleaning. this, of course, would only work for single sided mounts. vic

You can. I do.

Have your gunsmith install a ball-detent in the slide. It holds the racker in place, but makes it easy to remove or switch sides. It takes 2 seconds to install or remove the racker.

I'll try to take a picture or maybe a video.

You can. I do.

Have your gunsmith install a ball-detent in the slide. It holds the racker in place, but makes it easy to remove or switch sides. It takes 2 seconds to install or remove the racker.

I'll try to take a picture or maybe a video.

as our gun is around 10 days out, do you have to drive the racker out or does it come out by hand? sorry for the ignorance. laura&vic

Here's a video. Sorry about the background noise, wifey was watching a Justin Beiber documentary. I took this video between frequent gags and dry heaves.

Oh, and to answer the next question, it has never fallen out.

Actually, it fell out before I got the ball-detent. Lost the set screw...

Edited by Jeff686

• 2 years later...

sorry to drag up an old thread, but I've been wanting to get rid of the stock racker on my gold team (eric custom).

I have the standard one that goes on the RHS which is ok, but not ideal for a right hander. more than that is the fact that it's so short.

What I'd like is a racker on the left side that can be easisly removed, like the one in Jeff686 post which has the ball detent. I've seen some rackers with the ball detent (or 2 of them) in the racker itself (then you just drill a small dimple in the dovetail.

does anyone know if any of the 1911/2011 rackers will fit the tanfoglio dovetail?

the dovetail on Jef686's gun looks standard. so either he had a racker machined to fit, or he found one that fit off the shelf.

any idea what kind of cost I'd be up for to have this done?

this racker looks a lot like Jeff's. they quote dovetail at .360 by .60. anyone know what the tanfoglio gold team dovetail is off hand?

https://www.speedshooter.com/product_detail.cfm?id=SWR&n=SC-Sidewinder-slide-racker

SWR-lg.jpg

Ideally I'd love to be able to use something off the shelf, or have the racker machined to the correct size and have the racker come with the detent's fitted. custom gunsmithing is a hassle here in australia, so if I get the racker made (even in the US) and then just have to drill a small dimple (or 2) for the detents that would be ideal!

I like the look of the cheely racker too. but again, no idea if it will fit, or be easy to make fit?

https://www.speedshooter.com/product_detail.cfm?id=CCGR&n=Cheely-Custom-Slide-Racker

even better would be one of the two brazos models which come with the 2 detents in the racker. but they look like they need a custom slot milled into the slide.

https://www.speedshooter.com/product_detail.cfm?id=BCG20-155H&n=Brazo%20ZigRacker/Horizontal%20Slide%20Racker

BTW, Jeff, your gun has some very nice touches on it. :)

^^^^^

What he said.

I have a sidewinder as shown in post #6 on my open tanfo which is based on a Limited Elite. Works fine.

Best thing about the slide racker on the left side of the gun is that it props the gun up for table starts.

I actually liked the stock racker on my Gold Team; also tried a sidewinder, but I liked the stock one just fine. (And I'm right-handed).

(Oh, and if anybody wants to get rid of their stocker that's just lying around, I'd gladly take it off your hands... currently having a new Open Tanfo built.)

Yes, the 2011 Rackers fit.

awesome!

Follow up question:

I'm assuming the brazos racker is a custom option only (totally different dovetail) but is there another brand of racker that comes fitted with one or two detents that will fit my dovetail?

That way I can run it on the left side but remove it easily to field strip the gun (I run a single sided cmore mount on the left side). the current one with setscrew is ok, but they are not designed to come on and off all the time. plus without locktite the set screws rattle loose and need tighening after every few stages.

so who makes a 2011 racker (left side, swept upwards) that has one or two detents in the racker?

• 3 months later...

Resurrecting this again to bring up the supposed compatibility with 2011 rackers. I tried the racker from my friend's TruBor, and it's not even close to fitting the dovetail in my Tanfo (which started its life as a recent-production Limited). While one could probably be made to work, it would appear to need quite a bit of material removed to fit the Tanfo dovetail. Is it really the same case across the board?

I picked up an EGW Sidewinder for my Limited Custom and it is the same thing. Although, I'd take material off the racker and not the dovetail. I opted instead to have a local machinist make me a racker once I realized the Sidewinder (not the XL) doesn't look like it will clear the Cheely 90° mount anyway.

Although, I'd take material off the racker and not the dovetail.

Precisely; I wouldn't be modifying the pistol at all. It's just that a good amount of material seems to need to be removed from the racker in order to make the racker fit into the normal Tanfo dovetail. The discrepancy seems far more than I expected when I saw people saying here you could use 2011 rackers; on the sample I tried, it was not something that could have been resolved with just a few quick passes of a file.

Precisely; I wouldn't be modifying the pistol at all. It's just that a good amount of material seems to need to be removed from the racker in order to make the racker fit into the normal Tanfo dovetail. The discrepancy seems far more than I expected when I saw people saying here you could use 2011 rackers; on the sample I tried, it was not something that could have been resolved with just a few quick passes of a file.

I agree. Local gun shop (who I had knock the stock rear sight out) said the same thing. I have a feeling I'd need something mechanical to take quite a good portion off. I thought it might need a slight adjustment, but then again, the racker was sold as needing "gunsmith fitting" so I wasn't expecting it to just slide in.

Guys even to a 2011 they mostly need to be "fitted". They pretty much all seem to be made oversize.

Yeah, but this was "I'll need to take it to my bench grinder" level of oversize, not "minor fitting required" oversize.

If that's the case, so be it, but that's not was it was made to sound like.

You could drill and tap the racker and use one of these http://www.vlier.com/product_index/sld/bp_00_index.html Hard to tell from the pic in post 5 if the setscrew is straight in but, if so, just replace it with the spring loaded ball plunger in the link above. Would need to add a dimple to the slide cut for the ball to index in, a countersink would work or maybe a drill point.

I'm hoping one of the more experienced ones here can chime in with the "For Certain", but the things I've found on the Google search (and quite a few forums) said it was a Bomar cut.

I decided to have one made in a different style I liked the more. Think it will help with the "flat on the table" starts as an added bonus.