Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Not being able to get a straight answer

Vermilion

Have been wanting to chop my CZ Tactical Sports frame down to look similar to the CZ Custom CTS. In the process of chopping the frame I would be chopping off the part with the serial number. Now the part I hate is not being able to get a straight answer about whether this is legal or not. Some say a "qualified" gunsmith can do it but, what makes them so qualified that they can do it and I cannot. I figure as long as the frame has the exact same serial number and easily visible on the exact same side it wouldn't be a problem. I'm about to just either give up messing with it or pay someone to cut it down and then at a diagonal so as to not remove the serial number.

The ONLY thing I can see about a "qualified" gunsmith would be that they have an FFL and I do not and that this somehow makes it to where they can relocate serial numbers.

I'm pretty sure you can't deface the serial number in any way.

For example, when stippling the grip of a Browning Highpower, they always leave the serial number alone (I think it is right in the middle of the front strap of the grip).

I'm pretty sure you can't deface the serial number in any way.

For example, when stippling the grip of a Browning Highpower, they always leave the serial number alone (I think it is right in the middle of the front strap of the grip).

+1

18 U.S.C 922(k) states "It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to...possess or receive any firearm which has had the...serial number removed, obliterated, or altered and has, at any time, been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce"

18 U.S.C 922(k) states "It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to...possess or receive any firearm which has had the...serial number removed, obliterated, or altered and has, at any time, been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce"

Works for me. Guess I got my straight answer.

The part that confuses me is that as an 07/SOT I should be able to "destroy" the existing gun and "manufacture" a new gun (by putting my company's information on it). Entering the old information in my bound book, marking it as "destroyed" and then in the "build" book as "manufactured."

Weird.

I can make a new gun, but I can't make a new gun out of an old gun? Confused my local ATF with this one, too. Especially since if I "materially add" to the value of the gun (by, say, pretty cuts, new sights, a slapdash Duracoat job, etc.) then I have to pay excise tax on it as if I manufactured it. Go figure.

Alex

Edited by Wakal