Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Minimum A-zone presented

wide45

So this is not meant to be about a particular match.

...they were set up so that only HALF of the upper-A/B zone was visible after the thing was at rest. The appearance was very fast, so most guys ended up having to take said shot.

APPENDIX B3

Metric Target

At least 25% of the lower A-zone, or the entire upper A-zone, must remain visible around hardcover or overlapping no-shoots.

9.9.1 Moving scoring targets which present at least a portion of the highest scoring area when at rest following the completion of their designed movement, or which continuously appear and disappear, will always incur failure to shoot at and/or miss penalties (exception see Rule 9.2.4.4). See Appendix B2 or B3 for the percent of target to be pre- sented.

9.9.2 Moving scoring targets, which do not comply with the above criteria are considered disappearing targets and will not incur failure to shoot at or miss penalties except where Rule 9.9.3 applies.

The minimum amount of A zone must remain visible on a stationary target, and can only be covered on a moving target when it has disappeared.

I don't want to speak for Mr. Braxton, but I shot the same targets that he is referring to. In the clam shell setup, the scoring border of the no-shoot was basically in line or CLOSE to the scoring border for the A-zone of the target behind. At times, the NON-Scoring border would appear to cover that narrow portion of A zone. Let's just say it was barely legal, but still legal for a non-disappearing target at rest.

Sounds like a perfectly legal non-disappearing target to me as long as the entire upper A zone was available when at rest. The non-scoring border overlapping part of the upper A zone should not matter since any hits into that non scoring area would be considered A hits.

Placing the top of the penalty target anywhere near the upper A is an invitation to a competitive equity arb.

Depending on height some competitors will be able to shoot over the penalty target making 100% of the upper A zone available. For them the target does not disappear.

Others not as tall may only get 95% of the upper A. For them, under current rules, that target disappears.

Best practice is to leave the entire upper A/B available.

Placing the top of the penalty target anywhere near the upper A is an invitation to a competitive equity arb.

Depending on height some competitors will be able to shoot over the penalty target making 100% of the upper A zone available. For them the target does not disappear.

Others not as tall may only get 95% of the upper A. For them, under current rules, that target disappears.

We have a winner. When inspecting a stage for safety issues, shoot-throughs, and other problems, I usually make two passes -- one at my normal height, and one with knees bent, approximating the height of our shortest competitors....

Here's a couple pictures of similar targets and the overlap. Sorry for the quality it came from my video and I zoomed.

target 1 (2).bmp

target 2 (2).bmp

Snapshot 3 (2).bmp

Snapshot 4 (2).bmp

Edited by aztecdriver

We have a winner. When inspecting a stage for safety issues, shoot-throughs, and other problems, I usually make two passes -- one at my normal height, and one with knees bent, approximating the height of our shortest competitors....

You need to get some stilts and do three passes ;)

You need to get some stilts and do three passes ;)

I'm 6'3", one of my colleagues has a couple of inches on me -- we're not seeing anyone taller showing up.....

When we do, we'll recruit them....

From the post snapshots, it looked like the overlapping noshoot was position close enough to the target that shooter height didn't make a difference.

Unlike Nik who is tall, I'm short at 5'2". This past weekend, a lady shooter and I got to the last stage, and we both commented at the same time: "Finally, ports we can actually shoot through!". But yes, a to iterate what Nik said. A good stage designer should also take into consideration shooter's heights (and sometimes girths).

I may have been mistaken (I mean, I was shooting too fast and too sloppy at the time), but it sure looked small to me!! :roflol:

I wonder is somebody "adjusted" the targets after you shot and by the time the pictures above were taken.

I may have been mistaken (I mean, I was shooting too fast and too sloppy at the time), but it sure looked small to me!! :roflol:

I wonder is somebody "adjusted" the targets after you shot and by the time the pictures above were taken.

He was on my squad. I think he may have been hit in the head with a flying rock... and got a little dizzy. :)

Somebody once setup a stage, where the targets had the minimum 25% lower A-zones or the full upper panel A zone. Every other area was covered by one or more No Shoots. Granted that the targets were only about 10 feet away, there was a lot of negative feedback about that CoF.