Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gen4 tungsten guide rod

caz41

I was looking at the Zev tech tungsten GR for the Gen4's. It appears that it is the same as for the Gen3, but you use some type of reducing ring. Anyone have any experience with these? Pro's, con's, something better?

I bought Billy Lester's guide rods designed specifically for Gen 4 glocks since you don't need a ring -- they plop right in. I figured not having a ring would be better since there'd be less unnecessary movement. I also figured I'd run less risk of getting thrown out of SSP using his guide rods than one with a ring.

You can order the stuff here: http://jagerproducts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=35&products_id=91

Billy's a great guy and is very responsive -- love doing business with him.

Cheers.

I went ahead and bought the reducing ring for my gen 4, popped it in and now Im running a gen 3 tungsten guide rod. It has worked perfectly! I went with the reducing ring because gen 3 parts are in more abundance.

YMMV

Edited by inkballedtarget

I went ahead and bought the reducing ring for my gen 4, popped it in and now Im running a gen 3 tungsten guide rod. It has worked perfectly! I went with the reducing ring because gen 3 parts are in more abundance.

YMMV

Which guide rod are you running in yours?

caz41,

Not really sure how much of a benefit you'll get from the added weight of a tungsten guide rod vs a standard polymer rod. My guess is that it's negligible. Just so you know where I'm coming from: having had to stop shooting after having gone broke from keeping up with the IPSC arms race when I was into it 15 years ago, I've gone back to shooting lately with a decision to stay within SSP so I can focus on my shooting and not the gear. So, I'm naturally biased towards SSP-legit stuff.

Cheers.

YMMV

I got a reducing ring for my Gen 4 too. I actually use my M&P 9L extended tungsten guide rod in my G34 along with ISMI springs. Works great.

Remember to take out the reducing ring before you field strip the barrel. Took me a minute to figure out why the heck I couldn't get my barrel out of the slide after I took out the recoil spring :rolleyes:

Are guide rods generally interchangeable between different guns? I always thought that they weren't, save for the springs. Then again, I know diddly about tinkering with guns (my brain's busy enough just trying to shoot my guns).

One of the cornerstones of Glock design philosophy has always been, as much as possible, parts interchangeability. Thus all the guns within a particular frame size have used the exact same recoil spring/guide rod assembly. For instance it doesn't matter whether it's a 9mm Glock 17 or 17L or 34, a .40 S&W Glock 22 or 24 or 35, or a .357 SIG Glock 31, all the Gen-3 medium frame Glocks use the exact same 17-pound recoil spring and polymer guide rod assembly. For that matter the large frame 10mm Auto Glock 20 and .45 ACP Glock 21 also use that unit. This is all, on the surface, not a particularly great idea but Glock has done it for years. It's only the experiences with the Gen-4s that seem to have finally clued Glock in that a recoil spring optimized for one cartridge (in this case .40 S&W) will not work particularly well in a gun chambered for another (9mm).

Just to clarify: tungsten is illegal for SSP but okay for ESP, right?

I also figured I'd run less risk of getting thrown out of SSP using his guide rods than one with a ring.

You know that tungsten guide rods are illegal in IDPA, right?

No, it's illegal in IDPA period.The rules state that you are not allowed to run a guide rod made of (1) a material heavier than common steel (i.e. no tungsten guide rods in any division in IDPA), (2) of a material different than what is supplied by the factory (i.e. you can't run a steel guide rod in a Glock in any division within IDPA either).

I've heard about interchangeability of Glock parts. Wasn't too sure how it worked: for example, the G22 guide rod is supposed to work with the G35, but doesn't the G35 have a longer slide and a longer barrel?

Are M&P parts interchangeable with Glock parts in general? I was surprised that the M&P guide rod would work with a Glock. They're made by different companies, right?

One of the cornerstones of Glock design philosophy has always been, as much as possible, parts interchangeability. Thus all the guns within a particular frame size have used the exact same recoil spring/guide rod assembly. For instance it doesn't matter whether it's a 9mm Glock 17 or 17L or 34, a .40 S&W Glock 22 or 24 or 35, or a .357 SIG Glock 31, all the Gen-3 medium frame Glocks use the exact same 17-pound recoil spring and polymer guide rod assembly. For that matter the large frame 10mm Auto Glock 20 and .45 ACP Glock 21 also use that unit. This is all, on the surface, not a particularly great idea but Glock has done it for years. It's only the experiences with the Gen-4s that seem to have finally clued Glock in that a recoil spring optimized for one cartridge (in this case .40 S&W) will not work particularly well in a gun chambered for another (9mm).

I've heard about interchangeability of Glock parts. Wasn't too sure how it worked: for example, the G22 guide rod is supposed to work with the G35, but doesn't the G35 have a longer slide and a longer barrel?

Yes, but the recoil spring tunnel is the exact same length on both guns.

Whoa... Thanks for the clarification, Duane. I got a prototype steel guide rod to test out for my Gen4 G35, which was counter-bored by Glock so that Gen3/Gen4 guide rods don't fit properly. Thought of using it to make my gun ESP (and thus, get to shoot twice in a match), so I'll hold off doing so let it get me DQed.

No, it's illegal in IDPA period.The rules state that you are not allowed to run a guide rod made of (1) a material heavier than common steel (i.e. no tungsten guide rods in any division in IDPA), (2) of a material different than what is supplied by the factory (i.e. you can't run a steel guide rod in a Glock in any division within IDPA either).

Thought of using it to make my gun ESP (and thus, get to shoot twice in a match)

Were you thinking you would get to shoot every stage twice, once in SSP, once in ESP? Not sure the match(es) would allow you to do that. One of the real cornerstones (sorry to overuse the term in this thread) of practical pistol shooting is "performance on demand." IOW we're not interested in how well a shooter can run a stage when they get time after time to do it, we're interested in "what you've got in the bank," i.e. what you can do when you have to perform cold. One shot at it, boom, you're done. I guess it would depend on the MD, but certainly shooting the match twice could be construed as having an unfair practice run.

Yes, but not to get an advantage but just to have more fun. My club is an indoor range that can only set up 1-2 stages at a time, so we basically spend 5-6 hours or so on match day just to shoot 4 stages for a measly 70 rounds or so. So, I thought about shooting twice so I can at least spend more then 60 seconds shooting for the 5 hours I'm in the range. I don't even care if they only score my lowest time from both runs - it's only in IDPA matches that I can shoot at multiple targets, draw from a holster, etc, as my club prohibits all that stuff.

Thought of using it to make my gun ESP (and thus, get to shoot twice in a match)

Were you thinking you would get to shoot every stage twice, once in SSP, once in ESP? Not sure the match(es) would allow you to do that. One of the real cornerstones (sorry to overuse the term in this thread) of practical pistol shooting is "performance on demand." IOW we're not interested in how well a shooter can run a stage when they get time after time to do it, we're interested in "what you've got in the bank," i.e. what you can do when you have to perform cold. One shot at it, boom, you're done. I guess it would depend on the MD, but certainly shooting the match twice could be construed as having an unfair practice run.