Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock 34 Holster Question (Gen 4)

Delta

I am awaiting the arrival of a Glock 34 and would like to try my hand at IDPA/ISPC ...Can someone suggest a holster that will befit the rules of both disciplines until I can gain enough experience to choose its replacement(s) on my own..??

Thanks !!

I prefer Comp-Tac over Blade-Tech these days, frankly. I don't like the Blade-Tech Sting Ray belt attachment as, in my experience, its design of two separate, widely spaced belt slots allows the holster to slide around, back-and-forth, on the belt. The Comp-Tac by contrast uses a single tunnel belt loop, though arguably it gives you the effect of two loops since there is a cutout in the middle. The cutout allows you to straddle a jeans belt loop which locks the holster in place and prevents it sliding around.

But then again I use the same holster for competition and daily carry so for me having the holster be stable when worn on a "normal" belt is important. If you're going to thread the holster onto a dedicated competition inner-outer belt system, then the belt loops make no difference since the velcro system will lock the holster in place regardless.

Also, I have broken several Blade-Tech holsters over the years. The material from which the Comp-Tac holsters is made is noticeably thicker, therefore (presumably) stronger and more durable. I like that.

If you do go with Blade-Tech, don't get the injection molded version, it's way cheaper but you maybe fighting your holster when you attempt to draw. I know because I started off with one. I'm not sure they still make them, I don't see it on their website anymore.

For USPSA I've switched to Ready Tactical DOH, it's fast and retains well. Ready Tactical makes a IDPA legal version that could be used for both IDPA and USPSA.

At your next match, ask what others are using and see if they'll let you take a look at their rig. The holster that I checked out and wanted was a Kytac but they are difficult to get nowadays. Around my area, Blade-Tech is the most popular, Comp-Tac, Ready Tactical are common too.

Don't do what I did and go cheap and plan to upgrade later. Get the one you want.

Edited by lsr1238