Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Replacing Front Sight with Fiber Optic

Chutist

I have a Para that was built from a frame kit by EGW back in the 90's. It has a Caspian slide on it with a BoMar sight.

I'd like to replace the front site with a Fiber Optic unit. The question is which one to buy? Para cut?

The dovetail is about .345 at the bottom and .290 at the top.

Chutist,

It is not a Para cut for sure. I believe George usually uses a Novak cut 0.330 wide, 0.075 deep, 0.320 from the front of the slide to the center of the cut. We stock several different heights/styles with this cut.

Chutist,

It is not a Para cut for sure. I believe George usually uses a Novak cut 0.330 wide, 0.075 deep, 0.320 from the front of the slide to the center of the cut. We stock several different heights/styles with this cut.

Sounds like I need to call you Monday! :)

Thanks

I wonder how fast "some smith" could install a sight like that...and return it...if a shooter sent in their slide (only)?

Some smith will turn these quick jobs right around, I think? Others, put them in the line?

Not a lot more. A nice flat surface and precision meausring device to make sure the beast is centered.

Some of us are more skilled at delicate but firm jobs than others. My first attempt at replaceing a front sight was less than perfect. My second went much better. Now that I have mastered the art, I think I'd let a real 'smith do the next one. :D

I usually just schedule the sight installations with the customer and then it is only in the shop a day or two. The sights are made a little oversized because dovetails will vary. Depending on the size of your dovetail you might have to file a little or a lot. I recommend taking material off the bottom until the sight starts in the dovetail and then tap it in with a plastic or aluminum punch. You want it tight in the dovetail. A little red or green locktite does not hurt either. If you have to take very much of the bottom make sure when you put the sight in that you do not have contact between the underside of the sight blade and the slide. Also it is not a bad idea to know the sharp edges off the dovetail on the slide at the top. These can dig into the sight and cause stress risers and then the sight can crack.

Most people can handle the sight install on their own but we can do it if it makes you uncomfortable.

:D This tread brings back memory of a state match turned into a lesson. I was shooting one of the stages all of the sudden I couldn't hit those pesky full size poppers at 25 yards even when I slowed down took aim and triggered my gun deliberately. Then the front sight wasn't there anymore. Holy caramba! :o Zeroed a stage and 3 more stages to go :wacko:. Sure enough there are a bunch of nice guys shooting the match and actually found the sight for me, not only that but he handed me some red loctite and no sooner than 20 minutes my front sight was back and it hasn't move since. I think I put 1.5K rounds through that limited gun and the sight is still there like it's cemented down. My input is, when the dovetail is machined there could be some warping on the metal. When you drive that front sight in it will be tight, but when you shoot one of those 40 round stages that heats up the slide it may heat the metal enough for the dovetail to loosen. Usual indicator of this is seeing your front sight drifted a slight after a high round stage. But when checked it's tight in the dovetail. Weird stuff from the running and gunning high round count zone. :D