Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cmore or Deltapoint

Alan Adamson

• 2 weeks later...

That "Barry mount" is new to me. It seems to address some of the issue with the 90* mount blocking so much of the left field of view.

Barry's mount came before the well known 90* mouints.

I honestly never notice the body of the mount to the side, so even the 90s would probably be ok for me. (I'm lucky if I notice the targets. LOL)

Barry is a good friend of mine, so I use his mount...

That "Barry mount" is new to me. It seems to address some of the issue with the 90* mount blocking so much of the left field of view.

If you search it you will see it's been around a long time. I'm not sure why it's not more popular. Sighting it in might be a little more difficult though.

That's the major complaint with it.

You have to either reverse the windage screw and drill and tap a hole for the lock screw, or take the slide off the adjust the windage.

• 3 months later...

I decided to give the DP a try, so I ordered two, in two dot sizes. Put it on the Arredondo mount, and right away there was serious interference with my slide - so I had to remove the material from the bottom of the mount - good deal of it, actually, I would say about .040"

First trial was with the triangle. Yes, whole lot bigger than my usual 8MOA dot. But too big? Possibly not, depending upon your taste. Done some friendly local match shooting, and it was doing just fine. Liked the brightness control, and it was more than bright enough outdoors on a very sunny day.

The smaller glass does make it more prone to losing the dot in uncomfortable positions. Shooting straight ahead is not an issue, it is shots around the corner etc that can create problems. OTOH, due to lower position weak hands shooting is a bit easier.

Of course the dot sits whole lot lover than with C-More... Inches do not tell you the whole story, but picking the regular C-More gun right after this one, created the impression I was sitting on a step ladder. That impression lasted for only about five shots, though.

Now testing the 3.5MOA dot. In reality it does seem to fall between 4 and 6 of traditional C-More dot sizes, or just a tad smaller than 6... maybe 5.5?

Overall, there are things I like about it, but the bigger glass has its advantages.

post-21305-0-78943500-1328823175_thumb.j

Edited by Foxbat

• 2 months later...

I believe the OP, Alan Adamson, decided against trying out the DP, ran with the Aimpoint Micro for awhile, then returned to the upright CMore.

Foxbat, another poster in this thread, tried out the frame mounted DP, but also returned to the ubiquitous CMore.

Now I've been looking to replace my 18 year old (and still going strong) Tasco red dot for my open gun after taking an extended break from competitive shooting. However, I was looking for an alternate to the standard CMore, just to be different.

So for the past month, I've been testing out different red dots on my Tactical Solutions .22 conversion kit. I've tried out the Aimpoint Micro and Deltapoint (both 3.5 and 7.5moa).

For the Aimpoint Micro, the window size was just too small when mounted above the ejection port (I believe similar to the OP's setup). My draw had to be almost perfect, or else I'd lose the dot. I really had problems with the weak-hand draws. I had better luck with the Aimpoint when mounted by the rear sight. However, the casings would probably hit the sight if it was mounted that far back on my open gun (and the only mount I found for that would be a Wiegand mount with a Weaver rail).

When I tried the 3.5moa Deltapoint on the .22 conversion kit (mounted above the ejection port, similar to Foxbat's setup), my shooting went to crap. I had to really slow down to get acceptable hits. My transitions went from .23 to .28 sec. The dot was too dim. I kept losing the dot. Another problem I had was that window looks SMALLER, the farther forward it's mounted on the gun. This made indexing tougher.

I then tried the 3.5moa DP on the rear sight dovetail mount. My shooting improved, but the dimness of the dot made my shooting inconsistent. I was testing the sight indoors, so I think the uneven lighting conditions played havoc on the brightness sensor.

Then I tried the 7.5 moa DP on the rear sight dovetail of the Tac Sol kit. When mounted on the dovetail, I measured the triangle to be about 17 moa. When shooting indoors, the triangle was dim enough that I could see the bullseye of the target hidden behind the triangle. However, because the triangle is sooo big, it was still quick and easy to pick up during draws and shooting drills.

My shooting drills immediately improved when I switched from the 3.5 moa DP to the 7.5 moa DP. After a couple of practice sessions and about 500 rds of 22LR (plus dryfire), I was shooting my fastest draws and fastest transitions ever with the 7.5 moa DP(compared to my original Tasco). My best draw improved from 1.17sec to 1.12 sec. My transitions went from 0.23 to 0.21 sec. My splits stayed the same.

I think my draw improved because the DP is so much lighter and my transitions improved because the DP window is wider. When mounted on the dovetail, the DP window actually LOOKS wider (but still shorter) than the CMORE mounted above the ejection port.

I then mounted the 7.5moa DP on the slide of my 38Super (at rear sight dovetail) to verify my shooting improvements translated to my open gun. The triangle tracked perfectly up and down. Recoil was harsher (because DP was much lighter), which caused my weak hand to slide forward and bump the mag release (quite embarrassing). This made me realize that I used the Tasco frame mount as a thumbrest, which prevented my weak from sliding forward into the mag release.

I then re-installed the spacer for the frame mount to act as a ghetto thumb rest and went back for another range session. After about 150 rounds, my Bill Drills at 7 yards were comparable to when I had the Tasco mounted. What was a little bit of surprise was that even though the Bill Drill split times were comparable; my 6 shot groups with the Deltapoint seemed to be smaller.

And just like on the TacSol 22 kit, my transitions with the 38 Super improved with the 7.5 moa DP. (0.21 sec instead of .23).

I thought I would lose the triangle due to the slide slamming back and forth, but because the triangle tracked perfectly up and down (and happened so quickly), it always seemed like the triangle was in my field of view.

I zero'd the tip of the triangle at 25 yards and just center the triangle for up close shots. I switch from center of triangle hold to the tip at anything greater than 12 yards.

I do shoot tighter groups with a round dot vs the triangle. I shot my tightest groups with the 7.5 DP when I used a square 17 moa target.

Much thanks to whoever recommended buying better Torx wrenches than what was provided in the box.

I'm currently sitting at C-class with 53.28% with the Tasco on my open gun. So obviously there are a lot of other things to work on to improve my scores besides upgrading my gun.

The Deltapoint looks much cooler on my gun vs the Tasco and sits lower, 1.1" vs 1.4" height overbore. And the early testing shows the Deltapoint improves my shooting.

Other than the harsher recoil and higher price, I haven't found any cons yet for the slide mounted Deltapoint. The window looks bigger, the further back on the gun it gets mounted.

So as long the as the Deltapoint stays reliable, I'll bypass the Cmore era of dominance and try something different just for the hell of it.

I thought about getting my slide milled to lower the DP some more, but I don't think I'd be able to get that done for the Tac Sol conversion kit. So I'll stick with the dovetail mount.

Here's my open gun with the DP and ghetto thumbrest:

STIwithDP.jpg

Here's my TacSol 22 upper sitting on a RIA frame:

TS22withDP.jpg