Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington VersaMax - cutting/threading chokes

Phong Nguyen

Hello all - does anyone have any experience with cutting down the VersaMax barrel and threading for chokes? I contacted Rose Action Sports about cutting down the barrel from 26" -> 21" and they mentioned that the threading for chokes couldn't be done since the barrel is larger than standard bore diameter and use the Remington Pro-Bore chokes. Any additional insights would be appreciated.

Concerning cutting/re-threading the barrel for the same Pro-Bore choke tubes it started with:

As far as I know there is no installation tooling available for these Pro-Bore tubes outside the Remington factory (Since the bore is larger the standard Rem-Choke tube will not work in the Pro-Bore barrel). Briley may have a proprietary tube they can install depending upon the barrel's wall thickness. A call to to them discuss may turn up a lead. I'd also call Remington, who knows what they may be wiling to do for you.

Just to clarify my previous response to the OP :D

Edited by GunCat

Just leave it at 26 and worry about practicing loading and shooting. Nothing wrong with 26 inch barrels, all my 3gun shotguns are 26 and I don't do too bad... :)

.jj

I agree. 26" is nothing. I shoot 24" guns and would go with a 26" in a heartbeat.

SuperSet, Phong, are you going to try the Versa Max for 3 gun? Let me know how it works out for you.

Some of us really want Remington to suceed in 3 gun. Hated to drink the tomatoe sauce.

See you at SacValley Thanksgiving?

3gunfunshooter

Randy

GunCat, appreciate the clarification. I dropped Horner a note to see what he says since I thought i saw him run a 21-22" VersaMax. I also heard Piatt talking about his 26" Versamax at Ozarks so I assume that he's running it stock.

Randy - I'll shoot both the VersaMax and FN SLP to spread out the round count. My FN has been very reliable and accurate so looking forward to adding the VersaMax to the arsenal. I may come up for Thanksgiving as long as the Henker curse is broken. :)