Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 super loose crimp

MR TWISTER

Help

I v'e been reloading for a number of years but have never seen a bullit that I could not get to crimp tight in the case. Have gone from a slight taper crimp to a crimp that is deforming the bullit by 5 thousands. Put the cartridge against the bench push with moderate preasure and they move 10 to 30 thou. I'm using a new dillon 550 press with a dillon taper crimp die. Anyone have an idea ?

Thanks

Help

I v'e been reloading for a number of years but have never seen a bullit that I could not get to crimp tight in the case. Have gone from a slight taper crimp to a crimp that is deforming the bullit by 5 thousands. Put the cartridge against the bench push with moderate preasure and they move 10 to 30 thou. I'm using a new dillon 550 press with a dillon taper crimp die. Anyone have an idea ?

Thanks

Twister, I have heard that the crimp is NOT designed to prevent bullet set back,

but merely to remove the flanging bell so we can seat the bullet.

The problem of set back is the sizing die - may not be sizing the

case tight enough -

Could be very old cases, poor sizing dies, or undersized bullets?

I may be wrong - let's see if any experts chime in...

Good luck,

Jack

Give Hi Power Jack a cigar!

Indeed, check the bullet seating tension by applying 25-30 lbs pressure to the nose of the bullet. This should not move the bullet more than a few thousanths. Over-crimping will buckle the case behind the crimp point, reducing the neck tension.

Help

Thanks

Twister, I have heard that the crimp is NOT designed to prevent bullet set back,

but merely to remove the flanging bell so we can seat the bullet.

The problem of set back is the sizing die - may not be sizing the

case tight enough -

Could be very old cases, poor sizing dies, or undersized bullets?

I may be wrong - let's see if any experts chime in...

Good luck,

Jack

Can't get a better "expert" than Dillon:)

This is generally a sign of cases with walls that are too thin (i.e., R.P. cases).

The first thing that a reloader should do when something "odd" happens is start to measure.

If your sized case ID is not smaller than your bullet diameter, your cases are too thin or your die is too large.

Do not think of a crimp as holding the bullet. Too much crimp will actually pull the case away from the bullet and you will notice a bulge in the brass. Again, measurements will point to the problem.

Thanks

You were all right on. It was a combination of some bad brass and to heavy of a crimp. Some of the brass just will not tighten around a bullit. I went thru and reset everything and loaded some picture perfect rounds. Only thing I'm missing now is and gun. It should be here in a few weeks from Dawson. Thanks for the help and thanks to Dillon for making a fine reloader.

Mr Twister

Prescott,Az