Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

180g minor loads with P.P.

TH3180

I have been reloading 9mm for about a year now. I just bought a GLOCK G22. I would like to use this gun for a winter league that is a USPSA variant. One of the interesting things about this league is how they determine major and minor power factory. It is all off of caliber. By shooting .40 S&W I will be scored as major. So I am looking for a minor load to use in this league. I also might use this gun in IPDA next summer, I haven't decided yet. I would like to use Power Pistol as my powder. I will be using Montana Gold 180g bullets Federal brass and Winchester primers. Looking at a few different reloading manuals most have a starting load within a .1g of 6.2g of Power Pistol. What do you think the best way to approach this would be? I am thinking I will load 6.2g and work my way down by .1g to say 5.5g. I want to start by doing a function test and then on Saturday I will be shooting with a friend that said he will bring his chronograph. With concerns to the chronograph. I am mainly looking for consistency in FPS, right? Anything else I should look for while sending rounds through the chronograph? Besides lack of slide function what else do I have to worry about and/or look for when going below published data?

Thanks,

Tim

Personally, if you want a minor load, you should likely go to a powder more suited for it.. ie lighter charge of faster burning propellant.. for your 5.2 gr of pp, I am throwing 3.6 gr of Solo 1000 with a 185ish gr RN.. and getting about a 145 pf. It is more economical, and likely burning all of it at a slightly higher operating pressure.. but I guess you'll use what you have in stock...

Since Power Pistol doesn't seem to be the best choice of powder. What would you folks suggest I try. The only reason I started with Power Pistol is I really like it when loading 9mm. My powder throws seem to be dead on all the time. I have nothing against trying a few differant powders.

Thanks

I've had good luck with Bullseye and Red Dot in 40. Red Dot smells something awfull, but it was an accurate load. I've got some 231, but haven't tried it yet. The most accurate load is with PP though and it's the load I mentioned above.

My manuals show the start load for PP at 5.2gr. My IDPA load (minor) is 5.5gr of PP pushing a 180gr Missouri bullet (cast). My Lyman manual has a higher starting charge, but the other 3 show 5.2gr.

I would try this load because I use 5.8 on my .40 major loads and run around 168 power factor. So if you turn it down to the suggested 5.2-5.3 I think that would be a nice round to shoot minor.

Power Pistol is not a great powder for soft shooting/minor loads. Pick a faster powder. Even starting loads are snappy with PP.

I found when I started at 5.2gr of PP, it was a powder puff load. 5.5gr is soft, but no mouse fart and the recoil is more of a push. In 40, I prefer the push recoil vs. snappy. My load is getting me 3" groups off of sand bag out of my M&P 40 with 180 gr Missouri Bullets. Red Dot was good also with 180 gr Bayou Bullets and I was getting 3.5" groups with it off the sand bag. I think PP is an excellent choice for 40 cal major or minor loads IMO.

Today I shot 6.0g down to 5.3g PP through a buddy's chrono. I went down by 0.1g. He is going to put the info into his computer and email it to me. The gun cycled fine. I will update when I get the results. I was thinking I have some 231 I might try that for a minor load.